Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing my account type

BoneMan
Grafter

Changing my account type

Hi All,
        I'm on a very old PlusNet account, Premier Option 1. To date, this has been good for me (like the 'free' period lasting until 16:00 🙂  ). I haven't looked at new accounts for a long time now but I can see there is one now called "Extra". Although the 'free' period only lasts until 08:00, it does have a monthly limit of 60GB (my best/worst to date has been 48GB ;-). A while back there were some accounts that seem to be as good as the old ones (and for less £) but they were "gotchas" with speeds. Saving about half my monthly cost seems attractive but if everything is throttled to hell, that attraction will disappear.
Any thoughts or comments please?
TIA 😉 ,
        Ray.
9 REPLIES 9
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Changing my account type

you can check the traffic shaping side by side here http://kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Are you on a Market 3 exchange otherwise the costs are different
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The UserTools Comparison Tool here also includes Plusnet Extra information.
As you've noted the major change in the products is peak period running 8AM to midnight. Download speeds on non-interactive protocols in the evening peak period are a little more tightly controlled, but Extra is cheaper, particularly if you are on a Market 3 exchange (checker).
David
BoneMan
Grafter

Thanks guys for the responses. I am on a Market 3 exchange so Extra would only cost me £11.49 a month 😉 I'll have a better look at the <cough>network management<cough> figures but as I do most of my serious downloading during the day (10:00 - 15:00) then I don't think I'll lose too much 😉
Again, many thanks for the help and information.
Regards,
Ray
pierre_pierre
Grafter

but that was free time on your current package, it wont be on Extra, peak time start at 08:00 to midnight
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: BoneMan
Hi All,
        I'm on a very old PlusNet account, Premier Option 1. To date, this has been good for me (like the 'free' period lasting until 16:00 🙂  ). I haven't looked at new accounts for a long time now but I can see there is one now called "Extra". Although the 'free' period only lasts until 08:00, it does have a monthly limit of 60GB (my best/worst to date has been 48GB ;-). A while back there were some accounts that seem to be as good as the old ones (and for less £) but they were "gotchas" with speeds. Saving about half my monthly cost seems attractive but if everything is throttled to hell, that attraction will disappear...

The link by Pierre was a good 'un showing you have line speed up to 13GB during 'peak hours' with the rest 'free'. Seems like you need to 'prioritize' Wink cost vs throttling. The newer products are throttled a lot and the market 3 cost benefit is attractive to some.
Hard call, but is the speed worth a tenner a month? Don't forget that if you move to the 'dark side' (new product) there ain't no going back!
win2003
Grafter

@Ray - Did you go ahead with the switch to the Extra package? How did it go?
I'm thinking about doing the same... do you lose your extras like web space, free domain name and Fax-to-email?
Thanks for any insight.
The_10th
Grafter

Plusnet will transfer your added services if you ask them to when transferring to the new product range.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If we schedule these changes manually then we can opt to keep all existing features so things like webspace aren't downgraded automatically.