cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from dynamic to static IP killed link on my Cisco 867, NCP negotiation timeout

UWFRA

Changing from dynamic to static IP killed link on my Cisco 867, NCP negotiation timeout

A charity I support has had plusnet business for a few months, recently we changed the router to a Cisco 867 as I wanted some of the advanced features it offers. That has worked fine for some time. Our line has a static IP assigned, although I didn't realise I had to activate this through the member portal. I did so last night, now the BB link fails to come up. I also activated the plunet firewall setting to low, although I've rolled that change back, makes no difference.

When I look at the router PPP negotiation debug I'm now seeing an NCP timeout. The PPP session has authenticated to Plusnet, and moves to the NCP phase, at which point it times out.

Plusnet support tell me there are no changes to make to the router, which is what I expected, and predictably cannot offer support on the Cisco router.

Has anyone else here got a cisco 800 series router (this one has built in VDSL/ADSL2+ modem) working with Plusnet or any clue as to what could be going wrong here? The xDSL trains up, it reaches ADSL2+ and the ATM, Dialer and Virtual access interfaces all come up.

If I connect the plusnet router back up all works on the static IP address. No changes were made to the Cisco prior to the static address modification.

Hope someone can offer some help here...

Andy