cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing NAT TYPE

bishbosh77

Changing NAT TYPE

HI I have the Thomson Gateway TG585v8.
I play online on my ps3 and I want to set my NAT TYPE to open as it is currently on Strict.
Any help would be much appreciated.  I am not the most technical of people so please be gentle.

Cheers,
Bish.
12 REPLIES 12
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Re: Changing NAT TYPE

Same here mate except i am in a more worse situation! Usually when i reset my router it works but not this time :S this is really becoming a frustrating!
JJF1290

I'm guessing from today's date that you've bought MW3 and you're getting the "strict" NAT thing in the lobby. It's meant I can hardly connect with friends etc (can connect with random people OK) but a strict NAT does ruin the PS3 experience.
I've been trying for literally months with ports, DMZ'ing, etc etc and although it now shows as a type 2 connection, I actually think it cannot be done with a Thomson to get a truly "open" nat (type 1). So far as to say, I'm probably going to buy myself another modem, it's got that frustrating.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

I feel your pain! I would ask you to tell them to give you a replacement router and see if that solves the issue. I shall be doing the same. I actually think it is the router as thats where all the connection configuration and output occurs. If the problem presists i think we ought to try and get another modem.
dick:quote
bishbosh77

Cheers for the replies. Im glad im not the only one that is frustrated. Looks like I will be changing my router then. Gutted.
mattturner
Grafter

Hi Guys,
Please could you try the following on your routers to see if this improves the situation? You'll need to log into the router via telnet to enter these commands. The first 4 unbind commands may fail but the remaining 5 commands should run fine.
This will convert all unused ports above 54 to the CONE NAT type rather than symmetric - for UDP connections anyway.
Thanks
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=69
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=3074
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=3478-3479
:connection unbind application=CONE(UDP) port=88
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=55-66
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=68-499
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=501-5059
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=5061-7647
:connection bind application=CONE(UDP) port=7649-65353
bishbosh77

Thanks Matt...but I hate to come across as stupid but what is telnet?
mattturner
Grafter

Quote from: bishbosh77
Thanks Matt...but I hate to come across as stupid but what is telnet?

Sorry about that.
The article here: http://community.plus.net/library/hardware/forcing-adsl-modulation-on-thomson-585v7/ has a good description of how to connect to the router via telnet. You need to go as far as seeing the strange text based picture - just after you log on.
Your username and password to log on will probably be admin/the serial number of your router.
After logging on you need to copy and paste the commands above into the window. That is it.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: bishbosh77
I hate to come across as stupid but what is telnet?

Not stupid at all.
Telnet is a method of communicating with some routers (among other devices), it's run from a command prompt by typing 'telnet'.
In some versions of windows you will need to manually install telnet using 'add/remove windows features' or similar wording depending on the windows version.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bishbosh77

Thanks Matt. Much appreciated. I actually managed to do it which is unbelievable. Thanks Walker also. Wish I was more pc literate.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If this doesn't work for you, please run this command:
:connection bindlist

And then reply with the result so we can take a look.
For those interested, if you have another application / game mapped within the port ranges specified in the commands then they'll fail - you can always re-write them to exclude ports already mapped.
bishbosh77

YEP.....sorry I didnt get back to you sooner. The first  suggestion from Matt worked. I checked on my PS3 and the NAT TYPE is now open. Thanks again to everyone for their help.
bishbosh77

i MUST ADD YOU GOT TO SAVEALL AT THE END OF THE COMMANDS...GOOD TIMES.