cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changes over months: getting worse. Info?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Changes over months: getting worse. Info?

Woodside,
Do not worry sometimes there is a complete odd ball issue - looks like yours was odd in the extreme.  Short of looking for barking mad explanations, interference was a clear contender here.
Really would like to know what was the issue here as I've seen a number of inexplicable low data rates on an apparently otherwise "well synching" lines.
Really glad to hear that you've got a fix - thank you for reporting back.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

woodsider
Grafter

IP Profile now raised to 6500. Downloading now at 6100.
And we didn't lose electrical power during thunderstorms.
Looking good!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Excellent Cheesy
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
woodsider
Grafter

Two matters.
One: the plot continues. After the earlier activity of this thread, all was light, for a bit! Brilliant service from 13 August. Then, on the Bank Holiday (31st), internet became unusable again.
All change on Tuesday 1st Sept. Sync lost over a hundred times in the week to Tuesday 8th, although the sync speed remained 7.616 M throughout.
All change again on Tuesday 8th Sept. Only four resyncs (variable, but 6.944M or better) from the 8th until (all change again) an extended loss on Tuesday 15th.
116 resyncs on 15th and 16th, with good speeds, but on 17th ony 160K in the morning. IP dropped to 140K just for the morning, then back to 5.5M for the afternoon.
Then four days of great service up to the scheduled loss of power to this whole area on the morning of 22nd Sept. I switched everything off until this morning.
Two: Help!?
Switched on this morning at 7.30. Sync speed settled at only 416K. So, around 8.30 I switched off and started again. Immediate sync at 5.6M (which has stayed stable); so I downloaded a lot fast.
Even though sync has held since 8.30, the IP quoted by BT has dropped to 350K this afternoon and Download Speed as 370K. There was no need for that! Can the IP get kicked back up please?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Chris
Unfortunately as you are on a 20CN service any changes in the sync speed (5696, 5632 and then 7168K) can take up to 72 hours to reflect in the profile changing, and therefore can take that period before you see any improvement in speed test results.

AS noted before, sight of the information requested in the speed issues thread would be useful please.  There is clearly an issue here which has not been resolved.  Fixing the IP is not the solution to that symptom.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

woodsider
Grafter

Sometimes.
I was told that download speed cannot exceed IP.
I was told that the sync needed to be stable for 48 hours for the IP to increase towards it.
I was told that an unstable line would lead to reduced IP.
Each of these is demonstrably untrue sometimes.
So we carry on not knowing what the hell is going in.
If BTW's end of the story was consistent, it would make it much easier do diagnose anything that might be amiss at my end (if it ever is).
woodsider
Grafter

Townman
Clearly, my reason for starting this thread, and returning to it, is trouble not to do with IP.
My asking about immediate IP matters was solely to do with the issue of the last 3 days. Hundreds of internet users connected via the Netherend exchange were subject to Western Power Distribution's scheduled power cut on Monday. It is quite usual, after cuts that affect a lot of us, that the first attempt or two at reconnection cause a hiccup and synching at low speed. I don't know why, but so it is. I only needed to retry once, switching my router on and off, to get a stable sync at 5.6M. This has held for 48 hours. It is in this situation that BT dropping the IP several hours after the stable 5.6M was established is particularly pointless and annoying.
(Even more so as, the last time the IP dropped following a short period at slow sync, both IP and real download speeds were back up in less than 6 hours.  On 17/09/15:
Sync speeds: 6.75M the previous night when I switched the router off.  160k after many attempts after I switched on in the morning.  5.63M at 09.16, and then the connection held all day.
IP: 5.5M the previous night. 140K and download at 270K by 09.29.  5.5M and download of 4.4M by 14.40.)