cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed to Plusnet Extra but not speed expected.

Richchad
Rising Star

Changed to Plusnet Extra but not speed expected.

My product was changed today from BB+ to Plusnet Extra with an estimated speed of 17 Mbps, however on speed checks this morning not even reaching 8Mbps..  Sad
My exchange status is green and less than a quarter of a mile away.
Just looked at my Exchange details on Plusnet page and shows the following...
Estimated line speed:      8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-11-19 07:38:30
Current line speed:          21 Mb
So where did an estimated speed of 17Mbps come from, have I been conned or is there something I am missing here?
61 REPLIES 61
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

Re: Changed to Plusnet Extra but not speed expected.

When I went on to ADSL2+ it took BT about a week to fully install the service at the exchange. I thought that there would be an instant increase in speed when I went on to PN Extra, but it didn't happen until BT pulled their fingers out and altered their end of the configuration.
Richchad
Rising Star

I have been connected to this exchange with Plusnet for a number of years, didn't think just changing product would need any input from BT, maybe my profile needs changing?
jim:quote
nozzer
Hero

If you are migrating from BT Max (up to 8Mbps) to 21CN (up to 21Mbps) there will be some work to do at the exchange.
Richchad
Rising Star

Oh, thanks for that Nozzer, nobody has mentioned that when I have discussed it on the forum or in the notification of product change I have received from PN, it just says your product change is now complete.....
If there is work to be done who instructs and chases BT to do it? So really my change of product isn't complete.  Sad
nozzer
Hero

That's the email I got, but lovable BT hadn't done everything required. The PN order will have gone in to BT and it might have been done very quickly, but probably not. You'll know when your speed increases!
Richchad
Rising Star

Thanks Nozzer, looks like I will have to wait and check speed every now and again, shame PN didn't inform me of all the facts....
nozzer
Hero

Everyone works to a script these days..  PN has done all it has to and now it's at the mercy of BT.  Cry
Richchad
Rising Star

Would be nice if someone from Plusnet could confirm all this, not that I don't believe what you are saying Nozzer...  Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Richchad
If there is work to be done who instructs and chases BT to do it? So really my change of product isn't complete.  Sad

Your account type (BB+ or Extra) and your connection type (20CN ADSL1 up to 8MB or 21CN ADSL2+ up to 20MB) are two separate things.
The account change can be initiated by yourself and happens on your billing date. That is complete.
The change to 21CN requires PN to place an order with BT to move you across. There is no definite time scale for that, Plusnet review accounts and move them across in blocks whenever it is convenient. From what you've posted I don't think the order will have been placed yet. However you can request an earlier move so I suggest you ring in and ask to be moved to 21CN ADSL 2+. If you have no luck with that one of the Digital Care team should pick this topic up on Monday (they don't work at the weekends) and place the order for you.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Run a BT Speed Test and paste the results in to a reply.
That will show what BTwholesale systems have your line speed and IP profile.
Mine is:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 13510 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4000-21000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :17656 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1138 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 15577 Kbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 888 Kbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 1138 Kbps
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Further to Jaggies post - if the speed test does not give the result of the upload test at the end you are still on 20CN ADSL1 as that test is not performed for 20CN lines.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
caulbox
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Without Jojo's help (only possible cos I was posting in the forums on an unrelated issue?)....I think I might have been stuck on a 20CN profile after migration (though the BT Speedtest was then giving me upload results)
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just looked at my Exchange details on Plusnet page and shows the following...
Estimated line speed:      8Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-11-19 07:38:30
Current line speed:          21 Mb

Am I missing something here ? - presumably for the Plusnet profile to be >8Mb, the OP must be on 21CN ADSL2
itsme
Grafter

My product was changed today from BB+ to Plusnet Extra with an estimated speed of 17 Mbps, however on speed checks this morning not even reaching 8Mbps..  Sad

Speed tests done using WiFi?