Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changed product now slower speeds

Avalanche
Grafter

Changed product now slower speeds

Hi there,
I wonder if anyone can help regarding a few issues I have.

1.    I transferred house & now my speeds have dropped around 2mb which I'm guessing is due to me being further away from the exchange, not a problem but today I transferred to PlusNet's Premium from PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 and speeds have dropped further 2mb, I now get an average of 1852kbps, anyone care to share some light on this as I thought WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) would have been the same speed or best still improved ?
2.    Whilst changing products with PlusNet I also ordered a FREE wireless router and paid the P+P of £6.99, will this help with ADSL2+ as my old router is an old Belkin which must be at least 5 yrs old now, I'm guessing the connection is unable to use ADSL2+ and still uses the old ADSL format due to hardware restrictions ?
3.    When am I likely to receive my router from PlusNet as I transferred over today and have had not confirmation regarding when I will receive this router only confirmation that my deferred hardware - Wireless 4 port router contract has now started.

Thanks in advance for any help.   Smiley

Regards
12 REPLIES 12
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Changed product now slower speeds

Does https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate say your current line speed is 2000?
What does http://www.speedtester.bt.com/ say for your IP profile? (Posting the full output from the test would help)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Avalanche
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Jelv,
Yes current line speed is 2000
Estimated line speed:
    4.0 - Checked on 2009-11-14 15:38:07
Current line speed:

My BT IP test a few days ago before product change was:-
Download speed achieved during the test was - 3050 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :4672 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4000 Kbps
Unfortunately I am unable to test again atm as did a test an hour ago and failed to save those details and therefore have to wait the 3 hours BT request.

"You have attempted a repeat test within 3 hours of the test providing results on your circuit. Please allow a minimum of 3 hours between tests."

Thanks once again for your reply Jelv.
Regards.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

That's fine and as I expected.
You need to ring in to ask for your stable rate to be set to match your IP Profile - don't be fobbed off if you are told to raise a fault - ask to speak to someone else
If you don't succeed hopefully one of the comms team will pick up this post.
Avalanche
Grafter

Thanks for your help jelv, I can also ask them where my new router is  Wink

Thanks once again.

Regards
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Avalanche,
I've changed your profile on our side to match BTs (4000kb/s) - should take effect instantly, though reconnect if you've not noticed anything.
Hope that helps,
Avalanche
Grafter

Hi orbrey,

Your a star!
Thank you very much, it's back to normal now, I noticed the increased speed earlier even though I was told over the phone I would have to wait 3 days, glad you helped me out.... very much appreciated orbrey.

Regards.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Hang on! Were you told that it would take up to 3 days when you rang in after reading my post?
(Incidentally Matt picked up this topic when he did because I PM'd him and asked him to sort it for you)
Avalanche
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Hang on! Were you told that it would take up to 3 days when you rang in after reading my post?

Yes, I did think about your post but in the back of my mind having just been told over the phone my new router had not been sent out as it was a problem on PlusNet's system and I should receive it within 3 days I thought maybe the best thing to do was to wait until the new router arrived and then call them back if no change, I guess I was a little apprehensive in my demand as the customer advisor was very polite lol, I'm a sucker for manners.

Quote from: jelv

(Incidentally Matt picked up this topic when he did because I PM'd him and asked him to sort it for you)

I thought he may have just stumbled upon my post but now I know you PM'ed him....... you get a double thanks!
That double thanks was not intended to be insincere either, the fact I'm back to the speed I was at before my product change means I have resolved my main issue that I created this topic for, jelv you've been a great help........ and I mean that.

Thanks once again.

Regards.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

@Matt
Please could you ask Mand to get the educating tool out and ask her to speak to CSC about how to deal with current line speed not matching IP Profile:
"Do you know how long it has been since your IP Profile has been at that speed"
Less than 12 hours: "It should correct itself within 12 hours, if it hasn't please contact us again"
More than 12 hours: "Just wait a minute please... If you'd like to disconnect/reconnect you should find your speeds have improved"
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@jelv
Matt's off for a few days, but I'm more than happy to go and 'educate' whichever agent it was myself.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Thanks - have you tried tracking back to find if there's an agent recorded as having spoken to Avalanche? Going by the posts it will have been some time on Mon 23rd.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The agent has left a contact on the account advising of what they told the customer, so it's pretty easy for me to see who it is. Cheers.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.