Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to the new tg582n from dgn2200?

1999Force9

Change to the new tg582n from dgn2200?

Can anyone help me?
Currently have a netgear DGN2200,
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wirelessrouters/work-and-play/DGN2200.aspx#two
Getting fibre installed tomorrow, should I use the new TG582n router supplied by Plusnet, or keep the old one? Is there a difference? When I asked them if i needed it the guys at Plusnet told me it will be faster??? Otherwise I'm going to tell em to take it back & give me a rebate!
Cheers
3 REPLIES 3
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Change to the new tg582n from dgn2200?

You can't use the dgn2200 I'm afraid. It's a modem/router, you need a router with an Ethernet WAN port for fibre.
BT provide a modem and the router connects to it using Ethernet. The tg582 supplied by plus net for fibre has modified firmware which makes lan port 4 operate as a wan port.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

1999Force9

Slightly depressing news, but thanks very much!
MacBadger

Did you try the DGN2200, im thinking same (when i get mine out of storage- just relocated and got fttc).
I tried a few routers for plusnet as i was on the original 80/20 trial, but never tried the Technicolor. Had it a day and a half- rubbish. awful wifi coverage for mobile devices (despite having disabled anything that doesn't do wireless N), the features awful- can't see a way to disable DCHP, the way of enabling MAC filtering is clunky at best, useless in reality. Hate it! Even using rj45 with more than one device the effective speed is laggy!
You SHOULD be able to use the DGN2200- port four is a WAN (read the link original poster supplied). Would appreciate knowing if it works in practice- i have a 1000mile round trip to get mine out of storage!