cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change to BT Infinity ?

Melltt
Dabbler

Change to BT Infinity ?

Had a BT mailer today saying that BT Infinity is now available on my local exchange with FTTC.  After putting my phone number into the web site it says I can get 25Mb download and 4Mb upload.  It says I can get 6Mb upload on normal broadband which is what I currently get with Plusnet.  So how can I get the same as Infinity with Plusnet as I have been with them for 5 years and happy with the service.
8 REPLIES 8
Force9Original
Grafter

Re: Change to BT Infinity ?

have a look here....
http://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20
thx f9o Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI Melltt,
F9O beat me to it, but we'd be happy to get you hooked up to fibre via our trial.
Jojo Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

If you get time JoJo  Smiley
Could you check this ticket 38022633
The BT wholesale site seems to be giving different  info between address check verses number check
The address & post code says my line could support FTTC with a speed 28.7 to 36.3Mbps  but no such info on the Number check.
Could you have a quick look
Thx f9o  Kiss
Melltt
Dabbler

Thanks for the input, I understand a bit more now.  As I have a stable 6Mb connection I think I will let sleeping dogs lie as it gives me all I need for now especially for around £6 a month.  I think I'll wait for things to mature a bit more before I decide to change.
Thanks for all the input.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi F9O,
Looks like you're not due to get it until March 2011. Dave posted a list here a while back.
Jojo Smiley
Force9Original
Grafter

Thanks for looking JoJo.
Its the inconsistency on BT Wholesale Between Address/Post code Check verses Line Number Check.
Conspiracy theory goes like......
BTW not updating Line Number check due current " FTTC issues"  to slow current order rates. Even thought the exchange and the DSLAM's have been signed off on.
Heard anything ?  Wink
WWWombat
Grafter

JoJo - Dave's list is a bit out of date now - Openreach has a document that was last updated yesterday at http://www.openreach.co.uk/exchange_plan
F9O - I've done a fair amount of checking using BT's DSL checker recently, and I have noticed the same thing. If I test using phone numbers, I get a statement of when the cabinet is due to support FTTC, and when the exchange is due to support ADSL 2+. And I've tried a few different phone numbers from around our neighbourhood.
The postcode checker gives me speed estimates for both ADSL2+ and FTTC, and keeps the ADSL2+ date prefix, but never warns that FTTC isn't really available yet.
The address checker used to do the same, but as of this week (sometime) it seems to now include the FTTC date-prefix too.
My theory is that they only bothered to put date information on the most-accurate phone-number check, and only now are trying to get the other tests to work OK. The post-code check can never be perfect because some postcodes are served by more than 1 cabinet.
That doesn't make the message any more palatable though... My FTTC date changed from March 31st to Dec 31st last week  :D, but has now gone back to June 30th today  :o.
Someone else had FTTC become available last week, managed to get his FTTC ordered on Monday, only for his date to also change to June today too  Huh
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
Force9Original
Grafter

Something's  definitely going on  with BT...
Maybe its due to  backend limitation, finance or what ever, but their upto somthing.
Have CS have heard any  whispers ?  Wink