cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change fixed IP address

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change fixed IP address

Quick question: Is it possible to change my fixed IP address? If so, what is the procedure?
Thanks,
Digsy
19 REPLIES 19
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 30

Re: Change fixed IP address

to change it you can remove it in in your account and re-add it, this will incur a one-off £5 charge but will assign a new IP
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
That sounded like it was something I could do myself, but on the static IP page of my account settings it says I have to raise a ticket.
So is it a £5 charge to remove it and then another to re-add it? And then will I also have to make a fresh request to re set my RDNS setting?
*Edit*
This link:
http://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/IP_addresses_broadband.shtml#switching
Also suggests there is a toggle under "Add Ons" but when I go there, I cannot see one.
Thanks,
Darren
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Again Darren,
It's free to remove, it should be listed on your addons page(I've attached a screenshot of one of my accounts showing the information), remove it there and re-add it,
when you re-add it, it will assign a different static IP to the one you previously had
Regarding the rDNS, you'd need to check that with one of our tech guys as that's not something I'm 100% sure on Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I don't have the "current add ons" part of that screen.
Darkfire
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

How long have you had the static IP? seems it may not actually be static, I'll give it a quick look when I get in Tuesday morning
Once I've had a look I'll send you a message from your account and we can take it from there as to what's best to do
Edit: Not back in til Tuesday, I'm off tomorrow, but I'll message someone to ask them to check things over
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Just out of interest, why do you want to change the IP address?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

rDNS will need attention to change it from the default of disclosing your account name.
When static IPS were bulk changed last year, one had to request the rDNS values to be changed after the event.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Digsy
Unfortunately I don't have the "current add ons" part of that screen.

Neither do I, I only have "Available Add-Ons".
IIRC I've had a static IP since joining PlusNet (15 years-ish) and also don't see the 'Current Add-Ons' section. Maybe it got lost amongst the various account upgrades/changes from legacy accounts. I definitely have a static IP as I've had to get the rDNS default changed a couple of times.
I appreciate this doesn't help the OP, and I don't want to change my Add-Ons, but it may give a smidgen of additional info for CS that Digsy isn't alone with this phenomena.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I don't have  'Current Add-Ons' and I'm on a fixed IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

i have current add-ons visible but only for PN protect, static IP isn't visible in that.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: Darkfire
How long have you had the static IP? seems it may not actually be static, I'll give it a quick look when I get in Tuesday morning
Once I've had a look I'll send you a message from your account and we can take it from there as to what's best to do
Edit: Not back in til Tuesday, I'm off tomorrow, but I'll message someone to ask them to check things over

I've always had a static IP. As far as I can remember it was never an option on my account, which may explain why it does not appear as an "add on".
I know its static because I use it to access my home network ad attached devices remotely.
Regards,
Darren
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Just to correct/clarify, static ips used to be added differently to how they now are.
Without even checking all the accounts, just going off of the majority of people who have said they don't have the option available, I'd guess that you've all had them on your account before it became an add-on that you can add/remove via the member centre, but on the accounts there will be a static ip component that was added at the time of taking it Wink
EDIT: @Digsy - Do you mind me asking why you're wanting to change it? Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer not to say in a public forum.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have PM'ed you Harry.
HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry Digsy, I forgot to edit my previous post a second time after I had read further through the process for this Embarrassed
Could you reply to the Ticket on your account please.
Thanks.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet