cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change IP address on the Technicolor TG582N router

quantium
Grafter

Change IP address on the Technicolor TG582N router

I have bought a Plus Net Technicolor router over the internet, but have failed to set its IP address and DHCP parameters to match all the other devices on the home network. It seems simple to set up Netgear routers, and this one is ludicrously obtuse. The attraction of the Technicolor is the fallback to the USB 3G dongle.
I want to set it to have an
IP address 192.168.0.1
DHCP start 192.168.0.50
DHCP end  192.168.0.254
Other stuff on the network has fixed ip addresses from 2 to 49.
Is this even possible?
Three parameters -- easy on Netgear, seemingly impossible on Thompson/Technicolor. Presumably changing the IP address requires several instances of it to be changed in the right order. This seems to be the main problem. Change one and the router won't communicate at all, on either the new one or the original and has to be reset.
I am seriously thinking of selling on the Technicolor and buying a much more expensive Netgear router with USB/3G fallback.. But that would seem to be ripping someone else off.
(This message was posted using the Netgear DG834PN )
7 REPLIES 7
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: Change IP address on the Technicolor TG582N router

It's possible, both in the web interface or in the telnet CLI interface but If i remember rightly you need to turn off the DHCP server before it will let you change the IP address.
It's under Home network, then you have to click on the local interface if I remember rightly.
Haven't had to use one in a while so I'd have to dig one out to be 100% sure.
quantium
Grafter

Thanks for that. At least now I know its possible!
It is a particular brick wall against which I have been banging my head for the last few days. According to my reading so far you have to use telnet to turn off the DHCP server and then make changes.
I have just downloaded the manual for the Netgear DGN2200 and if I can't fix this today I will have to buy one of these instead. I will feel really guilty about selling on the Thompson/Technicolor.
Off to have another try before lunch.
quantium
Grafter

... which failed. It did connect to Plus Net and a DHCP computer, or the others and not the iPad . I think cheap is expensive if useless
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

I've found that the simplest method of changing the IP address,subnet and DHCP pool is to save the router configuration to a file. Edit it to make the changes you require and then restore from the new configuration file.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

quantium
Grafter

Many thanks to both of you who replied, but it has now passed my deadline having spent many hours on it, and goes up for sale again as not being fit for what I wanted it to do.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hello,
If you change the IP Address of the router then you need to ensure your PC is on the same network which is why you loose connection to the router and you have to do a reset to recover, there are a few options to get round this, here's my choice.
The router supports connections from two IP Address network ranges. 192.168.1.0/24 and 10.0.0.0/24
The IP Address you connect to the router is 192.168.1.254 and 10.0.0.138.
So by giving your PC an IP address of say 10.0.0.100 you connect to the GUI using a browser to 10.0.0.138.
Then you turn off DHCP on the router make the necessary changes turn DHCP back on.
Because you are connected to the router on 10.0.0.138 you will not loose the connection.
Hope this helps.
Ottmar
Grafter

iDan - thanks for that explanation.