cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Censorship Already?

God
Grafter

Censorship Already?

I have made three posts to this forum and all three of them have been deleted.
The first was a flippant but certainly not offensive 'hello' to test that my account was working ok.
The second was to apologise for what the moderators had designated ‘spam’ and to express (very reasonably) my dismay at the overly strict and humourless control of the new forum.
The third was a response to ‘Oldjim’s’ very reasonable comment that although I had been admonished for being off topic that the moderators were allowed to have a humorous but trivial thread for themselves without any problem.
I then asked the moderators to comment on the above and if they wanted to foster a community here or a totalitarian forum?
Their response was to delete all three of my postings. Well that certainly gives me the answer but I am very unhappy that they did so without having the manners to explain why they were doing it to the rest of the forum.
I checked for any messages from the powers that be, none… summary execution it seems.
Welcome to the new forum…..

God.
9 REPLIES 9
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Re: Censorship Already?

Quote from: God
I have made three posts to this forum and all three of them have been deleted.
The first was a flippant but certainly not offensive 'hello' to test that my account was working ok.

... I'd seen your first post, and was intrigued - when the forum eventually let me back in (see post elsewhere about the delays being experienced at getting [most] community-site pages here) I looked at your profile to see what else you might have posted .... and saw the Forum Rules thread.
Slightly stunned at the moderator's "rebuke" (which to me seemed somewhat OTT) on your initial post.
I should explain
(a) that my previous forum experience has been mainly over at PUG - http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php (PlusNet UserGroup forums, ie for all PN-group customers but the forums not run by PlusNet) over the past three years or so
(b) the PUG forums run largely without moderation (the public forums there have always been relatively "civilised" so moderation of any kind has rarely been needed).
So I was somewhat gobsmacked to see your initial innocuous post get a "moderator's note" at all.  I was aiming to make some comment to that effect (when the pages eventually loaded), only to discover eventually that all the related posts had completely disappeared.  I then assumed that probably the mod had realised they'd over-reacted and asked of yourself and OldJim that all the relevant posts be removed so everyone could start afresh.
Clearly not the case, however ^^  Had rather hoped that the free-and-easy interaction within PUG might have transferred over here - don't have much experience of the previous portal forums but I would hope that now PN have finally opened up a Community Site where everyone from all the vISPs is being encouraged to sign up, there really wouldn't be a need to tell people what they may and may not say.
The public forums of PUG have been open to all customers since the outset, and the almost-3000 people who have signed up there over the last couple of years haven't experienced "modding" of quite this nature.  I'd assumed that PN-customers-en-masse would just be an expanded version of how PUG has operated - especially with PN staff now so heavily involved with this Community Site, and seemingly a lot of goodwill all round.
I think maybe today you were just unlucky - not easy to deal with probably, but it might take a few days for things to shake down here with so many people joining "all at once" and the mods are perhaps a little trigger-happy right now Smiley
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The point that seems to be missed it that posts should go into the correct forum; for those posts General Chit-Chat would have been appropriate and I don't imagine the mods would have shown any concern had they been there.
A second point is that the post was placed amidst a thread on another topic, taking it off topic as the mod's note said.  Doing that is impolite to the original poster, particularly with a post of that nature which had absolutely no connection with the thread topic.  It is questionable whether this topic should be in this forum but at least it is stand-alone.
Yes it's true the mods transgressed the rules, but at least they did so in a loosely connected fashion.
David
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Hi All,
Indeed, the topic did go off on a tangent, which is why I  had to clean up said thread - however, with it being late at night, the brain wasn't working as well as it should have done and forgot to add notes here there and everywhere.
Nobody is being censored in any way whatsoever and it's good to have humour whereever we can do so - I'm guilty of that especially in the PN forum, I do like to have a  laugh to lighten the mood of some threads, whilst trying to maintain a modicum of order.
God - please see your PM shortly and all will be revealed - unless of course you're the all seeing and knowing type and know what I will be saying Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When I saw the first post I thought it was totally inappropriate. If you want to introduce yourself there is a topic in the General Chit-Chat forum called err... "Introduce Yourself..."
Perhaps this could be made a sticky?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
God
Grafter

Quote from: rogerloxton

God - please see your PM shortly and all will be revealed - unless of course you're the all seeing and knowing type and know what I will be saying Wink

Indeed, for those who are not all seeing like myself…
The almighty was considered to have ‘Kind of took a liberty really’. But thankfully it appears ‘No warnings have been made or given to anyone on this occasion’. In which case I suppose I will have to reciprocate and (as tempting as it is) not send forth any lightning bolts.
God…
James
Grafter

*Raises glass to the beer God.*
God
Grafter

I raised the issues I had, they were deleted. I have no interest in discussing them with you one by one, life (even mine) is too short. I suggest you lock this thread and then we can all get on with thatever we get on with.
I of course will be busy moving in mysterious ways.
God...
clockley
Grafter

Hello God.
Just wanted to say hi, and point out that I am a big fan of your work.
Cheers.
Carl
God
Grafter

Ah, so nice to find someone who appreciates my work, all too often my name is taken in vain.
I see that in this forum you are omnipotent as well, able to unlock threads with a mere gesture. But then I suppose your name lends itself to such things.
I hope you are having a nice day analysing...
Peace be with you Carl Lockley.