cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cease only broadband; retain phone line

nickprior

Cease only broadband; retain phone line

Long term PlusNet customer here. We recently had FTTP installed by another provider. I now wish to cease the ADSL broadband element of the PlusNet contract but retain the landline and phone package. PlusNet provisioning tell me this is not possible. Why might this be? Any way round this?

(VOIP on the fibre is on the cards but since I need to adjust the wiring in the house it's not going to happen soon!)

9 REPLIES 9
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Cease only broadband; retain phone line

@nickprior  Plusnet will only supply a combined broadband and phone package, they used to do Broadband only but as far as I know never did a phone line only service. Their decision on what they want to sell.  Voip is the way to go because there will be no traditional phone service over copper lines in a few years, it will be Voip over broadband (Fibre or Copper line) for everyone.

nickprior

Thanks RAM, I'd better bring forward my VOIP plans!

RossP

I face the same problem as we are getting super fast broadband via a community wifi hub.  I have established that sadly BT are the only source of a landline-only contract. I'm told that care must be taken when making the switch as there is a danger of losing your landline phone number in the process.  So sign up with BT before cancelling Plusnet.  (Given three day with no email in or out, I can't wait!). I will use VOIP of course but live in a rural coastal area where the power lines are overhead and we regularly get power cuts in bad weather.  A landline is therefore essential as an emergency back-up. (Some readers may not know that landlines have their own power supply so are not affected by power outages on the grid).  Hope that helps.

RossP

I face the same problem as we are getting super fast broadband via a community wifi hub.  I have established that sadly BT are the only source of a landline-only contract. I will use VOIP of course but live in a rural area where the power lines are overhead and we regularly get power cuts.  A landline is therefore essential as an emergency back-up. (Some readers may not know that landlines have their own power supply so are not affected by power outages on the grid).

RossP

I should have added that we have no mobile signal here but, even if we did, wouldn't be able to charge the phones if the power was down.

nickprior

Yes the joys of remote rural living! All else fails we'll recharge mobiles in the car but at least we get a signal here (if I stand outside ...) Good point though about keeping a landline as a fallback option.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

For the mobile phones you buy a portable phone charger.

For the broadband connection you buy a Uninterruptable Power Supply.

Total cost would be less than a years phone only contract

Dan.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@nickprior Thanks RAM, I'd better bring forward my VOIP plans!

If you are wanting to transfer your existing landline number to voip , then dont cancel it with Plusnet. If you do that then a transfer will not be possible. You need to request the number port via the voip provider and the number must be active for the port to complete. The completion of the port will cease the existing landline ( and the corresponding broadband ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

nickprior

Good advice, thanks - keeping the number is a must.