cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cease Fee

scotchwhisky
Grafter

Cease Fee

I have just switched my ISP to BT.  I see I have been charged a "cease fee" of £30 by Plusnet.  Is this correct?  I have been with Plusnet for a couple of years.
I thought this fee only applied when broadband was removed from a telephone line.
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Cease Fee

Did you use a MAC to move
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi,
The fee is applicable if the MAC hasn't been used which it doesn't appear to have been I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
scotchwhisky
Grafter

Looks like my mistake then. BT didn't ask for one so I didn't  think it was necessary. 
Oh well. They say you learn something every day
TORPC
Grafter

It seems like they did not ask, since they knew you would get charged the fee, therefore I believe that it is fraud, since they neglected to inform you of your options that affect you financially
scotchwhisky
Grafter

I'm inclined to agree and as Plusnet is owned by BT it's even more annoying.  I am sure there are many people being caught in this way.  It you change energy suppliers you don't have to inform the old company; it's all taken care of by the new.
I've now received a missive from Plusnet:-
Customer has migrated to an LLU provider and the account has been closed.
Broadband Migration Date: 17/07/2014
The account balance is as follows:-
(Invoice 52033670 ) Service Charges Between 07-07-2014 to 06-08-2014 = £ 16.99
(£ 11.32 Refund due back to the customer for 20 days without service)
Cessation £ 30.00
Final Balance: £ 18.68
Kind regards,

I didn't know that BT was an LLU Provider!
dick:quote
scotchwhisky
Grafter

I have just spoken to  BT on 0800 400 456.  They say that if I had needed a MAC they would have asked for it.  They say Plusnet is definitely in error in charging this cease fee.  I understand the rules changed earlier this year.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Interesting, maybe you should point BT at their own site http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/dynamicmodules/pagecontentfooter/pageContentF...
It looks like something strange went on though, since PN seem to think you went to LLU!!.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scotchwhisky
Grafter

If you look at the "Switching to BT website"  http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=25764&isp=other ;
It clearly states that if you need a MAC code they would ask for it.  If not they will deal with the existing supplier.
I am not sure who is in error here.  BT or Plusnet.  What is absolutely certain however is THAT IT IS NOT ME.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I understand the rules changed earlier this year.
I think you might be referring to this http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2013/consumers-to-benefit-from-easier-broadband-and-landline-switchin...
However I don't think that is actually in place yet ( I may be wrong though! ). Ofcom's current information says MAC http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/internet-service/switch_suppliers
Unless the new procedures are actually in place then it looks like BT are in error.
Assuming the new procedures aren't in place yet I don't understand how BT managed to do the transfer without a MAC.  Did you have any break in service  ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scotchwhisky
Grafter

I upgraded to fttc at the same time.  Is it possible that this has caused the problem?  BT say no but I am beginning to wonder who to believe.  BT will not speak to Plusnet to sort this out even though they are the same company.
TORPC
Grafter

According to the above link
This charge will be raised should you :-
Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard Migration Authorisation Code (MAC) process.
Switch to another Broadband provider without following another recognised transfer process, when it applies.
Switch to a Cable provider.
Cease your Broadband completely.
Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UK.

When won't the charge be raised?
This charge will not be raised should you :-
Move home and you re-connect to BT Total Broadband via the homemover process.
Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address.
You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illness.

Surely in the scenario where one is moving abroad / terminating service(s) a Migration AC should not apply as one would potentialy be going with a company in that country thus not migrating anywhere in the UK, as they are likely to be charged the cessation fee anyway
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I upgraded to fttc at the same time.  Is it possible that this has caused the problem?  BT say no but I am beginning to wonder who to believe.
Ah!, that's possibly how they managed to do the transfer without a MAC although I still thought you needed one. There's a really good ( although a bit technical in places ) guide to how the transfer process works here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html
BT will not speak to Plusnet to sort this out even though they are the same company.
They might both be owned by the BT Group but BT Retail and PlusNet are run as separate companies and as such are not permitted to talk to each other by Ofcom.
The interesting wording in the message from PN is
Customer has migrated to LLU
implying a migration process was used. There was a thread some while ago about whether a cease charge was applicable when migrating to LLU but I don't think it was resolved ( can't find the thread at the moment ). Anyway I can't see how LLU can possibly be correct in this case.

scotchwhisky
Grafter

I guess I'll have to wait for one of the Plusnet Staff to give us the answers to what has gone wrong here!  Clearly something has..................
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

Quote from: MisterW
. There was a thread some while ago about whether a cease charge was applicable when migrating to LLU but I don't think it was resolved ( can't find the thread at the moment ). Anyway I can't see how LLU can possibly be correct in this case.

This one?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125583.0.html