cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cautionary Tale, but without an ending

JimF
Grafter

Cautionary Tale, but without an ending

I have been with Plusnet for many years.  Last year I changed to a fibre product and since then I have enjoyed a stable FTTC 40/2 service.  A month ago I decided to apply for the FTTC 80/20 trial, here is what has happened thus far.
On 12 April I applied for the FTTC 80/20 trial (Question #54319789). I was told that an engineer visit was necessary, three dates were offered. I was surprised at the need for a visit, so asked what the engineer would be doing. Was told that my line was (wrongly) recorded as being ADSL and that his visit was necessary in order to correctly update the supplier records prior to joining the trial!
Over the next few days the details of the actions necessary to resolve the records issue gradually emerged. Essentially, a "cease" order needed to be placed on my line/connection, once that had completed the line would then be reactived at trial speeds, the entire process taking 2-3 days. 
My first thoughts were that it was rather risky to agree to the "cease", despite the assurances I had been given. On the other hand I could see that I would likely face related complications in future, especially if I moved house or changed ISP. I felt, on balance, that it would be best to bite the bullet now and resolve the underlying issue in a controlled way. The "cease" was therefore set for Monday 30 April, the start of the week being chosen since it offered maximum leeway in the event of unforeseen problems!
The Monday duly arrived and at midday I lost my broadband connection AND my phone.  I hadn't expected to "lose" the phone, but concluded that it was a normal occurence for a "cease".
I waited the expected 2-3 days, but I was still without broadband and phone. On the Wednesday afternoon I contacted CS on the 0800 helpline. Confusion reigned because, unknown to me, messages had been placed on my Question #54319789 to the effect that the "cease" had been delayed by the supplier whilst they made further investigations. Consequently, the order itself was subsequently cancelled by Plusnet since it wouldnt now complete at the start of a week. So, in summary, the "cease" hadn't taken place yet my line was completely dead!
As you might imagine, the picture remained confusing for all of that Wednesday. Of particular note, the CS team opened a new Question (#55055251) to deal with my line fault, specifically the lack of dial tone.
On the Tuesday of the following week, in response to the new Question, a BT "copper" engineer rang my doorbell. A hour and a half later my phone was reinstated, the engineer said that my line had been disconnected at the cabinet as per the "cease" and then wrongly reconnected thereby "losing" the phone.
Unfortunately, although the phone was now working just fine, there still wasnt any internet. The DSL light on the Openreach modem was showing a steady "green", I was also able to substitute a directly connected Draytek modem/router which offers a comprehensive report of line characteristics. It was reporting that the sync was stable at just slightly below 40/2 and that the line was capable of 83/28, or there abouts. These numbers are the same as I have enjoyed in the past.
Having been in touch with the Faults team on Friday, I have been told that "As your service is now showing as being active though clearly not working, I have raised a fault report to our suppliers regarding this. When they have completed their checks, we will get back in touch regarding any further action required to get your service back up and running."
So, a month has passed and I am now entering my third week without broadband. I suspect I will get to the Friday and the supplier will say that everthing is fine...
I had been expecting a line reactivating process after the "cease", but that hasn't happened.  Could that be the current problem, anyone?  Could someone at Plusnet take an interest in this please.
35 REPLIES 35
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

Re: Cautionary Tale, but without an ending

Something similar happened to me when I switched to Plusnet, although it was with ADSL and not FTTC. In short, I switched ISPs to Plusnet and the broadband was activated, but it was activated before the details (e.g. username and password, etc) were changed in the exchange. I was left without internet for few days and despite being given many dates before the original activation date, nothing happened. But, on the day of the original activation, the broadband started working.
What it looks like with your line is that the VDSL connection is fine, but the Plusnet details haven't been set/changed in the exchange so although you can sync, you can't connect to the internet. I would ask Plusnet to give you a firm date of when your broadband will be back online/activated and if not, threaten to leave as that should get them to do something.
I am really sorry for all the trouble you have had.
JimF
Grafter

Thank you for the kind words.
I was thinking on similar lines, I suspect it is more to do with software/administration, rather than hardware.
Perhaps relatedly, in recent days when I click on "View My Usage" I get the following message, even though I am two weeks into the billing period:
"Sorry, there's nothing to show at the moment.
This might be because your account is new, or your usage has been reset for a new billing period.
It can take up to 2 hours for your usage to show up - please try again later."
It's almost as though Plusnet don't know about me (or it could simply be that I haven't had any usage in the current period)!
sjrinfroyle
Grafter

I think Plusnet have set your account up as if you are a new customer!
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

It's simply that they haven't received any usage, when I didn't have a connection at the start of a month for a few days it said that very same thing.
Trust it will get sorted for you soon.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
JimF
Grafter

bump
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You'll have the mods after you for doing a "bump" - it's against the forum rules! You need to post something like "Come on Plusnet, what's going on? Is anybody bothering to look at this?"
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JimF,
I'm afraid that I can't offer any further information other than what the faults agent has put in the ticket this afternoon.
Jojo Smiley
JimF
Grafter

Here is an update of where I am now, BT wrote this morning:
"Your fault has been diagnosed using the Knowledge Based Diagnostic Tool Please be advised that we have placed a cease order in One Siebel under reference 1-11778106728 so we can progress the customer fault / issue. Once the cease is completed we will place a provide order."
It sounds as though I am going back to the same position as was towards the end of last month, if so, this could take weeks to resolve. Will this misery ever end?
On the related Question I am currently awaiting answers to questions such as, will I again lose phone, will I be reinstated at 80/20 trial speeds and what is the timescale for all this?
Is Plusnet willing and able to expediate any of this?

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JimF,
Couldn't say for certain whether you'd lose the phone this time. If for some reason you didn't get your 80/20 speeds back we'd be able to sort that out in 24 working hours. Although I don't see why that would change to be honest.
Jojo Smiley
JimF
Grafter

I think I expressed myself badly, let me try again.
My prime concern is the timescale for the Cease and subsequent Provide, and whether or not Plusnet is willing and able to expediate those processes?
jim:quote
JimF
Grafter

Another update.
The latest message (as of yesterday afternoon) on Question #55055251 reads:
"The cease order that has been placed is only for the Fibre service and should not effect your phone service. At this time the cease order is due to complete on the 21/05/2012. The reason for the timescale is down to an engineer having to be booked to physically cease the line. But this is an unacceptable timescale and we have raised an escalation with BT and have requested that the cease to be completed at an earlier time."
Given that it is now Thursday afternoon, I think it is increasingly unlikely that the "cease" will complete before the weekend. But fingers crossed.
After completion, an order has to then be placed to re Provide the service, from previous correspondence that could take 2-3 working days, minimum.
That will take me well into a fourth week without broadband.  Interestingly, it means that I will have been without broadband for almost all of a billing period (currently, I am connected to internet using a 3G usb dongle, at a cost of £10/Gb, not cheap). Does anyone know if Plusnet will credit me for the lost phone and broadband, or will I be expected to carry on paying for... nothing?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
I can confirm we'll refund or credit you for the downtime. The reason we haven't done so yet is it's easier to do once it's all finished and we know exactly how many days you've been without service.
Unfortunately from what I can see we haven't received any confirmation yet regarding the order completion date but we will update you today.
JimF
Grafter

Thanks for that.
I have just had a message on  Question #55055251 saying that Plusnet have been "Unable to bring cease date forward". So I guess that it doesn't look as though Plusnet have very much influence on their supplier, BT.
If the "cease" really does complete successfully on Monday, and in my recent experience that is a really big "If", then I'll be lucky if the re Provide completes by next Friday. Otherwise it will carry on into a fifth week.
Friends and colleagues are incredulous that this is taking so long, particularly given that the connection was stable and trouble free before BT started messing with it.
Has anyone any experience of a Provide, how long did it take, does it involve a engineer visit etc etc?  Please let me know.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

It's sad to say Jim, but if you look around these boards BTw/OR have been making a real pig's ear on doing things in a timely manner when it's to do with fibre. (Mind you they are quite capable of doing the same when it comes to ADSL!).