cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catchall Status

Not applicable

Catchall Status

Received about 6 spam e-mails today (I haven't had any since using a domain name and utilizing the alias function).
One of my aliases is just christian name@xxxx.co.uk.
These e-mails were sent to the same christian name+a surname (not ours)+3 letters@xxxxxx.co.uk.
I sent in a ticket and was asked for the headers but unfortunately by then I had deleted them and set up a redirect to the blackhole.
I have catchall switched off so what has happened? I thought that if you had catchall off you only received e-mails for the default mailbox + aliases.
8 REPLIES 8
oliverb
Grafter

Re: Catchall Status

FWIW you have to check the headers and find the "Envelope to:" line to see who the email was really sent to, I've seen some bizarre entries in the "To:" line.
Not applicable

I did check the headers in order to find out who it was sent to, and as I said it was to someone with my domain (it has been used before) but only the christian name as per one of my aliases.
It's no big deal now as I have blackholed the addressee but I can't fathom out why they should have ended up in my mailbox when the address didn't completely match the default name or any of the aliases.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

excuse all the defaults, but
PN delivers all mail addessed to @username.plus.net (or force9 or freeonline) by default-because you have unlimited mailboxes available, to your default e-mailbox, it is only message rules that send it to your other boxes.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I regularly receive e-mails, correctly marked as spam, sent to my domain name but to a non-existant alias.  Catchall is switched off.
I also get some good messages marked as spam.
I hope that both these situations will be able to be corrected with the white and black lists.
Regards....
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
As has been said if someone can provide headers where the envelope to address is an alias they do not have and catch all has been turned off I'd like to see them (via PM if you'd rather). I can then raise a problem and get this investigated.
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Many thanks, Mand.  I'll let you have such an e-mail next time I receive one.
regards....Noel
cp:blue Full quote of preceding post removed. link:rules mod:end
Not applicable

At the time I rang in to PN because there wasn't a call queue. I was asked to download them to Windows Mail to look at the headers, and this is how I found out about the faulty catchall status. Wasn't asked to send in the headers but I will do if it happens again.
Another thing is that I deleted an alias and received mail that was sent to it about 24 hours later.
pdavidson
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
excuse all the defaults, but
PN delivers all mail addessed to @username.plus.net (or force9 or freeonline) by default-because you have unlimited mailboxes available, to your default e-mailbox, it is only message rules that send it to your other boxes.

That isn't strictly true. If you have catchall switched on then it will deliver all email to the mailbox that you have the catchall pointed to but if that option is switched off then it will reject mail to email addresses that don't exist.
By default (on new accounts) the catchall is switched off so that only email addresses that you create will be able to recieve mail.