cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catch-all setting for 'free' hosted domain

vof
Grafter

Catch-all setting for 'free' hosted domain

This was probably covered earlier in the year during the many discussions on how the email system worked but I can't find the answer so apologies for asking the question again.
I have the catch-all on my username.plus.com mailbox switched off. I have been experimenting with mail to my 'free' hosted domain and it looks as if the catch-all for this domain is effectively on. Is this the expected effect?
[In fact, I was investigating how mailing-lists and the hosted domain interacted so was surprised to see an experimental mail sent to listname-subscribe@hosted.domain be delivered to my default mailbox even though the only alias on that mailbox is postmaster.]
Is there a way to control the catch-all setting for a 'free' hosted domain?
vof
15 REPLIES 15
Mand
Grafter

Re: Catch-all setting for 'free' hosted domain

Hi there
The catchall for your domains should be the same as for your main mailboxes.
I've performed some maintenance on your account which should have resolved the issue, can you retest for me please?
vof
Grafter

Retested Mand but still delivering random addressees to the catch-all. Sent a mail to defaultmailboxname@domain.name, postmaster@domain.name and randomname@domain.name. All three were delivered and Envelope-to headers confirmed that one was for randomname.
vof
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Have you viewed this thread? It may be of some use to you Smiley
vof
Grafter

Thanks Mike - yes I have looked at it - I don't think it includes anything relevant to my problem. I have the catch-all off and have no problem with my username.plus.com domain. The problem is with my hosted domain.
vof
pauloriordan

I reported this same thing back in June, just after I got my new domain name. The problem was noted, but no solution was ever provided.
Like you, catch-all OFF does not work for my hosted domain name, so emails to anythingatall@mydomain.org.uk go into my default mailbox instead of being rejected.
A rather unsatisfactory workaround might be to create a junk mailbox, switch catch-all ON and point it at the junk mailbox. I am going to try this in the absence of a proper solution.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I've just checked the list of PUGIT items but this one doesn't appear on there.  I'll raise one for it.
Edit: PUGIT Issue 374 raised (link)
Two users here have noticed the problem.  Are there others?  Perhaps more importantly, does anyone have experience that the problem does not occur, i.e. catch-all off on username carries over to catch-all off on hosted domain (as it should)?
Please visit the linked page and associate your name with the problem (or comment in the Usergroup Comments Forum (link)
David
vof
Grafter

Thanks for the info everyone.
@Mand: Note PJ's recent post which suggests there might be a working fix around which Ian might know about...
vof
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Could you possibly try to test this again for me please?
vof
Grafter

Sorry for delay in response Mand - just tried same email again with same results - randomname@domain.name was delivered to default username.plus.com mailbox despite catch-all off.
vof
vof
Grafter

Bumped...in case Mand missed my last response.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I've made a couple more changes, can you try this again for me please?
Failing this I will raise a problem for our development team to look into this further.
vof
Grafter

Yep, that last set of changes seems to have done the trick - copy of email to randomname@domain.name was not delivered (to default mailbox).
Thanks Mand.
vof
Mand
Grafter

Finally!
Glad to hear that's sorted it for you now. Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: pauloriordan
I reported this same thing back in June, just after I got my new domain name. The problem was noted, but no solution was ever provided.

Paul, is this fixed yet? If not can you drop me a PM and I'll see if I can sort it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵