Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped upload on ADSL2

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Capped upload on ADSL2

Interesting information here: http://blog.thinkbroadband.com/2014/12/detailed-analysis-of-november-2014-speed-tests/
Looking at the BT and Zen upload speed profiles, the point where the speed increases above 448kbps is at about 71%. The proportion of users on 20CN lines should be about the same for all ISPs but for Plusnet the point where faster speeds start to show is at 68% - a 3% difference.
From that I think you can safely infer that at least 23,000 Plusnet users are on ADSL2 with capped uploads! (3% of 775,000).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
3 REPLIES 3
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Capped upload on ADSL2

I wouldn't agree fully with the assumed proportion of the total customer base
The reason being that those customers who use the TBB speed tests are more likely to be the knowledgeable ones who would ask for their upload to be uncapped.
As the vast majority of Plusnet customers are probably in the - it just works and I can browse/stream without problems category - I would have expected the numbers affected to be a lot higher
What I totally fail to understand is why Plusnet don't run a script every month or so checking that customers on ADSL are in fact uncapped
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I totally agree with your analysis. I'd deliberately underestimated which is why I said "at least 23,000".
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: Oldjim
What I totally fail to understand is why Plusnet don't run a script every month or so checking that customers on ADSL are in fact uncapped

Jim,
Could not agree more, though I would go further and ask why tactical scripts are not being run to address a whole host of issues...
Orders not progressing to plan
Lines experiencing high levels of disconnections
Stale session resolution
Though if simple things like getting the numbers to add up right on the connection graphs is difficult, these ideas may be a step too far!  Wink Cheesy
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.