cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped FTTC Profile?

huwwatkins

Capped FTTC Profile?

Hi
I've recently migrated in from TalkTalk Fibre. Looking at the modem stats I was getting a sync speed of around 47,000Kbps. As soon as I switched over to Plusnet the sync rate changed to 39,995Kbps. I have rebooted the Openreach modem twice over the last 7-10 days but each re-sync has me back at exactly 39,995. Usually a re-sync would vary by a few Kbps.
Am I being capped by Plusnet? I seem to remember an issue in the past where people were being incorrectly provisioned.
Thanks
11 REPLIES 11
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Capped FTTC Profile?

It's not recommended rebooting your modem as it can cause BT's systems to think there is a problem and reduce your IP Profile.
What does it say about your estimated speeds here http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/ ?
huwwatkins

Rebooting it twice in a week wont cause an issue. Estimated speeds are irrelevant seeing as BT downgraded them all recently and they are just that - estimates.
jim:quote
AndyH
Grafter

There's an example on TBB where they rebooted a the VDSL modem two or three times after the installation and the drop in IP Profile was significant. I will try and dig it out.
Not so sure about BT downgrading all speeds recently. I can still see properties with the same speeds as 6 months ago. They are estimates, but with a degree of accuracy.
What is the upload speed profile? That should tell you if you've been provisioned on 40/10.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

what is the upstream as it is possible you have been provisioned on 40/10
huwwatkins

Quote from: Oldjim
what is the upstream as it is possible you have been provisioned on 40/10

Hi
Upstream has always been less than 10 - Even when I was with TalkTalk. Usually seeing around 8400Kbps on the upstream. The fact that on switching to Plusnet the downstream sync dropped straight away from ~47000Kbps to 39995Kbps makes me suspicious.
AndyH
Grafter

If you go to the BT Speed Checker http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the Further Diagnostics test, it will show your upstream profile (either 2, 10 or 20 Mb).
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: huwwatkins
Rebooting it twice in a week wont cause an issue. Estimated speeds are irrelevant seeing as BT downgraded them all recently and they are just that - estimates.
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]

If you switch it off and immediately on again, then once is enough to trigger the DLM  Undecided
Regardless, it looks very much like you may be on the wrong product, either call or wait for someone to see this post.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet have this policy http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/plusnet/t/4283092-re-up-to-38meg.html
If either your download is above 40Mb/s or your upload is above 10Mb/s then we'll provision you on 80/20, if both are below then it's on 40/10. We can always manually change this to see if there's a difference for you if you're on one of our 'upto 76Mb/s' products.
I suspect that it thinks you should have had a downstream under 40Mb so have provisioned accordingly
huwwatkins

I think you've hit the nail on the head. I tried telephone support but got no where. I am hoping a rep picks it up here.
jim:quote
huwwatkins

Quote from: AndyH
If you go to the BT Speed Checker http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and run the Further Diagnostics test, it will show your upstream profile (either 2, 10 or 20 Mb).

Its 10Mb
huwwatkins

Thanks for all the help - plusnet have placed a modify order which should take place tomorrow!  Cheesy
Much appreciated!