Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Capped BB - Since changing to 'Unlimited' account

fandaz
Dabbler

Capped BB - Since changing to 'Unlimited' account

Hi to everyone reading this post.
I have totally been capped since changing my account over to 'Unlimited' a few months ago.
Before then I was capped at 60GB and had unfortunately gone over my allowance and had to pay extra (painful). At the time my connection was always showing the connected speed at over 9MB via my router (netgear) and I had no issues with speed related buffering on YouTube for instance or websites hanging (loading slowly).
Well after looking into the various deals going on for unlimited BB (and having BT drop a leaflet through my door), I realized that I could actually get Unlimited BB with PlusNet for less money than I was paying for 60GB capped..........
So I changed my account over and saved quite a bit of money per month.......great.
NOT....................strangely enough ever since then my BB is much slower than before. My Router for example is almost always connected well under 5mb (4860 kbps ATM). I have called and been assured by support that nothing has changed at their end ????
Well I work in IT and I can assure you that it has and my BB is definitely much slower................I often reboot my router now to try and get connected a bit faster or have too because its literally ground to a halt.
After the change over I had a couple of weeks of dropouts and problems but again I was assured that nothing had changed on PN's end.
I beg to differ.
Just wanted to know if anyone else has had a similar experience?
Thanks
Fandaz
12 REPLIES 12
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Capped BB - Since changing to 'Unlimited' account

A change of account type should not affect your sync speed.
Can you post line stats please?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Plusnet do not control the sync speed of your router
I suggest posting your router stats - noise margin, speeds and attenuation - and we may have some idea as to what has happened.
If possible can you provide a similar set while connected to the test socket - this post explains http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html
fandaz
Dabbler

Current Stat's Attached
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That explains why the speeds have dropped - your default noise margin has been bounced up from 6dB to probably 15dB due to the automatic systems seeing instability or excessive errors
However even with that noise margin your speeds are far too low for your reported attenuation
Can you try the test socket and report the stats again
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi fandaz,
There's nothing that is currently restricting your speed due to your product change.
I can see from your stats that your SNR is high, your line is very stable so I've placed a SNR reset to bring the down.
You should see an improvement within the next few hours.

fandaz
Dabbler

Well what ever you did has changed already, as I was posting my new Stat's (after rebooting my router) my Browser Froze.
My BB connection was just over 9MB after rebooting and since whatever you did - its now over 11mb
Pic's attached:-

Thanks for your Help
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Looks better but there are a couple of worrying points
Your reported attenuation has increased from 26.5 to 30dB and at a first guess that is because the reset has moved you from ADSL1 to ADSL2+
I can't explain the 1Mbps speed difference in the last two results
Your speeds are still lower than I would have expected - if you look here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php with your attenuation you should be getting nearer 15,000kbps
It would still be worth trying the test socket - if you have one - and seeing if it makes any difference.
In the meantime Plusnet will need to change their copy of the IP profile for you to see the speed benefit
fandaz
Dabbler

Thanks OldJim,
I will move my router into my house (Currently it's on an extension in my workshop) and test again.
I have bought a new BT ADSL NTE2000 Filter plate to install when I get "a round too it".
I was going to get it installed in my attic which is where my BT connection feeds into my house. This will sort out any extension issues for sure as it splits the adsl port, so no need for any filters in the rest of the house.
Is there are particular Router/make that you would recommend for stability?
Thanks
Fandaz
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Unless your existing router is unstable (following the changes) there's little need to change it.
I'd avoid too many (any unnecessary) router disconnections and reboots as far as possible or DLM may increase your target noise margin again (slowing your connection).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
fandaz
Dabbler

This is the latest STAT's after moving the router to my master socket with face plate removed.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Wow - that is a big improvement
It is now up to you where you go from here but I would make no more changes today if you can as you are now in the 10 day training period and we don't want to muck things up
fandaz
Dabbler

Ok just want to thank everyone who offered help and for Plusnet Staff that responded so promptly.
I have installed my New Router (Netgear N300) and the BT NTE-2005 ADSL Faceplate/ NTE5 combo in my attic.
No more filters dangling in the house........................
So attached is my latest STAT........................