Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant get Linksys WAG354G to connect.

blinky
Grafter

Cant get Linksys WAG354G to connect.

Hi all,
This problem is driving me nuts.  I have a Linksys WAG354G that I am trying to setup but for some reason it will not connect to the internet.
These are the settings I am using:
Encapsulation - RFC 2364 PPPoA
Multiplexing - VC
Qos Type - UBR
VPI/VCI - 0/38
DSL Modulation - ADSL2+
Username - **********@plusdsl.net
Password - The one I log into the members centre with.
Static DNS 1 - 212.159.6.9
Static DNS 2 - 212.159.6.10
I have tried different modulation settings and have tried with and without the static DNS addresses.
Could someone please let me know what I am doing wrong as I would like to use this router for the external antenna connection.
Cheers in advance,
Blinky
8 REPLIES 8
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Cant get Linksys WAG354G to connect.

What alternative modulation settings have you tried? Is there one called "multimode" (or similar) so it could be left to the router to negotiate its own?
David
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

A good strategy when a router will not connect for any obvious reason is to restore it to its factory state then try again.  There is usually a recessed reset button that you press with a pin or an unwound paper clip.
After the reset the default UK settings should be fine for Plusnet (you might need to specify PPPoA).  Just enter the user name and password as before. 
blinky
Grafter

Right tried everything, reset to factory defaults, got multimode selected and have done several reboots.  Still nothing.
Is the password defiantly the same as the member center login password?
Any more ideas?
Blinky
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Whilst you are experimenting, or even at any time you want to reboot/resync, I suggest you use this method -
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (with the line disconnected - during this time alter the modem/router configuration, you can reboot as may times as you like offline to make sure your changes have stuck, also swap any filters, or the modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again & connect to the line (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection with the possible consequences of a raised Target SNRM or a banded connection..
You can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.
Edit: Yes the password should be the same as the member centre,  type it in and make sure you get the case correct, it's case sensitive. However, that should not make any difference to the ability to sync with the exchange. Is everything that's plugged in the line connected via Microfilters that look like this
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

A good router will keep a log of events and this will say if your user name and password are being rejected.
You could also try setting the user name to bt_test@startup_domain (password does not matter, I think).  If that connects you might be able to browse to  http://bt.net/digitaldemo ; although I have not tried this for several years.  If this does not give you a connection then either your router is faulty or your line is faulty.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Just quickly....  Are you actually getting sync to the exchange, which even if your username and password is incorrect should happen.  If not this is more likely a line issue, or faulty router.
if you are getting sync, then its an authentication issue, that plusnet should be able to sort for you.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi blinky,
Are you still having this issue? I have looked at your connection and it has been connected for 4 days.
I'd suggest trying to soft disconnect.
Quote from: Anotherone
Do a Disconnect of your PPP Internet session with the ISP - you need to login to the modem/router interface and look for the Disconnect button to click on.
Now wait a few minutes, power down. Then wait 10 minutes (with the line disconnected - during this time alter the modem/router configuration, you can reboot as may times as you like offline to make sure your changes have stuck, also swap any filters, or the modem/router, connect to test socket, etc. - it doesn't matter if you take longer than 10 minutes) and then power up again & connect to the line (You may need to login to the modem/router and click on Connect to re-establish the PPP Internet session). Check the stats immediately (The Noise Margin [SNRM] shown is usually the current Target Noise Margin).
I usually recommend you do this no more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day.  Remember the reason for this procedure is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a dropping connection with the possible consequences of a raised Target SNRM or a banded connection..
You can use the Disconnect/Connect (without a power down) to Gateway hop.

Let me know how your are getting on.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi blinky,
Are you still having this issue? I have looked at your connection and it has been connected for 4 days.

So could it be that your new router won't connect because the old one is still plugged-in and connected to another socket?  You cannot connect two routers at the same time.