Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant Connect to my VPN

mgandhi
Dabbler

Cant Connect to my VPN

Hi
I am trying to connect to my work network via VPN for the first time. I have the Plus net Value package and having been reading that VPN is not supported.
I am connecting via Avantel VPN Software and my router is Belkin. Each time a try to connect I get a messge which say's 'Local connection is unplugged'. I have been to the broadband firewall connection setup in 'My Account' and set it to Low. Is this correct?
I can search and connect to the my router fine but not to the VPN.
Is there any further configuring setting I need to carry out. 
Any help would be good.
Thanks.  Smiley
Mani
17 REPLIES 17
CX
Grafter

Re: Cant Connect to my VPN

Are you using wireless or ethernet to connect to the router? I'm not familiar with that particular VPN software, but perhaps it is assuming that you're connecting through ethernet when you're actually using wifi, for example, and is hence bound to the wrong network adapter.
mgandhi
Dabbler

Thanks CX23882,
I am connecting wireless to the router. Not too sure about why it may be thinking I am connecting through ethernet.
Thanks
M
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Undecided  I connect several times dailynto my corporate VPN; we use Cisco VPN client.
You may need your corporate IT to assist with your router set up.
I know there are some routers are not good at supportin VPN connections; could you try another Router:
eg borrow one from Argos Smiley
mgandhi
Dabbler

Thanks Gel  Smiley
Just an update on the message I am getting
"VPN Connection Failed, unable to connect to the network, the remote network connection has timed out".
Will look into another router.
Thanks
M
mgandhi
Dabbler

Is there anybody else who connects to their VPN, how you encountered any problems.
Thanks
M
Bald_Eagle1
Grafter

Quote from: mgandhi
Is there anybody else who connects to their VPN, how you encountered any problems.

I don't have a static IP address & had an issue onceover regarding my dynamically allocated IP address when in the range 91.xxx.xxx.xxx
any other dynamically allocated ranges had been fine.
The ICT guy at work adjusted some setting or other at his end to allow access from that range of addresses & that sorted everything.
We use Cisco VPN client, & the error message when unable to connect was something on the lines of timed out, and/ or connection terminated locally by client.

Paul.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Plusnet use multiple IP block ranges for their dynamic IP pool. This means you could get an IP address from any of those pools in the future.
If your remote end VPN connection limits access by IP ranges then you could have the same problem as now in the future if you get an IP address not in your VPN servers list. The only solution is to get a static IP address, but this is only available on certain products types and incurs  a one-off £5 fee.
If you do a lot of VPN then you should get a static IP - or more correctly you should be on a business broadband package.
mgandhi
Dabbler

Thanks for all that.
I not very techincal so here goes.
So how do I get a static IP Address, do I need to go and ask the IT guys at my work for a Static IP Address. Once I have this I can then look to switch from dynamic to Static. I am not really sure on what to do next?
Please help  Smiley
Thanks
M
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

To get a static IP address you would need to change product to Extra and then request one which will have a one off cost of £5
Just because you do a lot of VPN to work does not mean you need a Business Package although the Business Option 1 10GB included may be slightly cheaper than Extra 60GB included BUT it has an initial 24 month contract so not a good idea at all
However first you should talk to your IT people at work to see if this is the problem
mgandhi
Dabbler

Thanks Oldjim  Wink
I connected to my neighbours wifi to test it out. He's got BT and he works from home. It connected fine to VPN and I could retrieve all my emails from work and connect to the network.
So potentially it could be a problem with my modem or the Value Package.
Need to test the modem out now.
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have you made sure the Plusnet firewall is off? (you need to disconnect/reconnect after making a change)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
mgandhi
Dabbler

Thanks Jelv.
I originally had no firewall set, so I set it to low and then restarted the router. This still did not work.
Any other suggestions
Thanks
Mani  Smiley
mgandhi
Dabbler

Hi
Can someone recommend a non plus.net supplied router which works with VPN. I've tried all sorts of port openings but no luck.
I am having problems with my belkin router to connect to my vpn.
I am looking at around £40-£60
Any recommendations would be good.
Thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm having no trouble using VPN with my pretty old Netgear DG834v1!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)