cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot see wireless signal

bumbershoot
Grafter

Cannot see wireless signal

Just got a new/used laptop. Works well via lan, but cannot see my wireless signal to connect to. Other pcs connect to my signal, and I can see other signals and can connect to one very weak, unsecured network.
Atheros network adapter has a troubleshooter, when run this states the "Association Test" failed.
Windows xp.
4 REPLIES 4
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Cannot see wireless signal

To use a well-worn suggestion, can you uninstall then re-install the driver?
First, though (I assume it is enabled in order to get the trouble-shooter but you never know) are you sure it's enabled (many laptops have a 'switch' or BIOS setting to enable and disable the wireless).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Not completely clear, your new/used laptop can see and connect to an unsecured network but cannot even see yours?  If so...
Could your router be running on wireless channel 12 or 13 and your laptop (or specifically the wireless adaptor) thinks it is in the US?  Not all wireless adaptors contemporary with XP can cope with WPA wireless security protocol, but I have always seen that manifest as an inability to connect to a visible network.  Or I suspect an ultra-modern dual band wireless N router might cause problems.   
bumbershoot
Grafter

Success :). Changed channel from 13 to 8, wireless signal appeared shortly after.  Hopefully it will stay.  Thanks for the advice and suggestions.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Ah yes, forgot that one - there's a lot of wireless adapters out there which only work on the USA approved frequencies (channels 1 to 11), normally simply due to the drivers.
Good call RR.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.