cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot progress order - MAC code required but no MAC code to give

charlesworth82

Cannot progress order - MAC code required but no MAC code to give

Hopefully someone a bit more "in the know" than I am concerning phone lines and MAC codes could help me out here.
I've been told that my order that I placed this morning cannot be progressed without a MAC code from the current ISP (Virgin) at the property.  I'm moving back into my own flat on Wednesday and I've had tenants in there for the last year.  They switched to Virgin ADSL2 shortly after moving in, and Virgin issued my flat a new phone number.  It was a BT line before that, I was actually with Plusnet for several years before I had to temporarily move out of home and let it to a friend.
My tenants moved out last week and cancelled their broadband, but the Virgin phone number is still active until November 1st.  I've been charged the first months fee for my package by Plusnet already, but told that I need to provide a MAC code from Virgin before the order can go ahead.  I'm not sure how I'm supposed to provide a MAC code because the broadband has already been deactivated, I thought that means that it's not possible to generate a MAC code now, maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong on that point.  Doesn't MAC stand for Migration Authorisation Code?  I'm not migrating, I'm a new customer. 
Regardless, I would like to know where we go from here because it seems to me that Plusnet have already charged me for a service that they cannot provide until I provide something that no longer exists.  Doesn't seem quite right somehow.  I'm not migrating suppliers, I'm moving back into the property I've letted for the last year.  I'm a new customer.  There isn't a broadband service active on the line in question at the moment.  Just a Virgin phone number which isn't in my name, and which will expire on November 1st.  Could someone from Plusnet possibly take a look at this for me?
Many thanks  Smiley
15 REPLIES 15
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Cannot progress order - MAC code required but no MAC code to give

Whilst Plusnet will have charged you for the service that goes as credit and shouldn't start to be used until the respective phone and broadband services are actually provided. So I wouldn't worry too much about that. Your situation is probably more complex than has been realised and needs Plusnet's provisioning team to take a close look at things and determine the required course of action.
I don't think the provisioning team work weekends but hopefully they'll get onto this tomorrow. The Digital Care Team will also be back tomorrow and should drop by here.
David
charlesworth82

Thanks.  I'm sure there's a simple enough explanation.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi charlesworth82,
Welcome to the community forum!
I've had a look over your account and your broadband line is still showing that Virgin are owners of your line. If you are wanting to keep your phone number then I would suggest calling Virgin and asking them to check if there is any 'active asset' on your line, your account may be showing as closed but the line is certainly still with them. Explain that you are in the process of signing with another provider and you also require a MAC code.
The only other option is for us to do a working line takeover but this would mean losing your number which I understand you do not want to do.
Let me know how you get on.
charlesworth82

No, that's not correct at all.  I told the man I spoke to on the phone at the weekend that I don't mind the phone number changing if necessary.  I just wanted to try and get the ball rolling before I move back into my flat, so that I didn't end up with no phone or broadband for the first month I'm in there.  Guess that was wishful thinking from the start really wasn't it.
I can't ring Virgin and talk to them about it because I am not the account holder.  As I already stated, it was my previous tenant's account which has now been cancelled (or not).  Regardless, they have moved out now and I am moving back in.  I wanted a full line takeover or whatever it's called, that's what I thought I ordered in the first place.  Broadband, Line Rental and Calls.  Isn't that a full line takeover? 

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I suspect you don't, in fact, want a full line takeover. My guess is that it would be a new service and how that is provided is down to Plusnet and Openreach. If that can be provided by restarting a stopped line I don't think a new line charge is incurred, but with two third parties involved (your previous tenant and Virgin) the waters are murky.
David
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Ahh apologies, there are notes on the account that state that you wished to keep your number, as I mentioned we can go ahead with a working line takeover but this would mean a new number but we can get everything up and running ASAP, although working line takeovers can take 10 working days.
It looks like we were awaiting the MAC key but I can place the working line takeover for you.
charlesworth82

If you could please, that would be great.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This sounds like over complex BS. If the previous Virgin service has been cancelled by the tenants there is no broadband service on the line and no MAC should be needed - Virgin are out of the picture there. Someone, probably the bill payer of the Virgin phone (WLR3) rental needs to cancel that service.
It's then a simple case of transferring your number to the stopped line is it not? And a simultaneous provide for the Broadband. As this is not LLU the process should not be any problem.
James
Grafter

If this is a cable line it is more complex than a simple transfer.
Anotherone
Champion

It's NOT cable!  In the OP
They switched to Virgin ADSL2
James
Grafter

Ah, my bad.
Anotherone
Champion

We'll let you off if you are looking in to it  Smiley
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That's all been actioned for you now and your ticket has been updated with your new provisional number and completion date.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.
charlesworth82

No that's all, thanks very much for your help  Smiley