cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot get my previous payg android to work on my technicolour router.

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Cannot get my previous payg android to work on my technicolour router.

As title. My htc phone settings accept password and says connected, full signal strength etc, charged battery, but no internet or any wifi access at all.
I previously had my htc wildfire on a 2 year contract that ran its course. Worked fine on 3g and old belkin wireless router. I bought a replacement samsung S4 to use and started a new t-mobile contract with same number, which works correctly, wifi and t mobile 3g data.
SO, for my old htc wildfire phone I bought a payg sim with t mobile and fitted. It works on phone, sms and data via 3g. BUT, it will not work on my plusnet router, says not connected to internet. This is despite several attempts "forget network" and then inserting password again. My S4 still works perfectly though.
Could it be that my htc is still locked to prevent my personal wifi access, but allow 3g (t mobile chargeable access)?Huh
Sorry if this seems a daft question, but I cannot understand why else it won't work!
BTW, the htc was last used previously on my old belkin router about 8-9 weeks ago, and also 3g. The htc contract was terminated. Then the technicolor router was fitted about 7 weeks ago. Then my S4 connected ok. It is only today I tried my htc for first time with new payg sim and found it wont access internet.. on home wifi.
Any advice appreciated....
Robin
34 REPLIES 34
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Cannot get my previous payg android to work on my technicolour router.

Try removing the sim and see if you get access then. My Tmobile mini works fine in this mode.
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Just a random thought Wink
What channel(s) are you using? I have a Samsung which worked fine with my "n300" router set for "13+9", but a newer Huawei would connect but only work intermittently. Changing the channel settings to "1+5" cured the problem - I'm assuming the Huawei only goes to channel 11.
I did consider interference from next door's router, but it is set for auto-channel and immediately responded by switching from 13+9 to 1+5 when I changed the channel Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks both. A bit more info....
It WILL access the technicolor router ok, and loads ok (192.168etc in address bar) tried more than once, fine. But, if I try internet from main screen or type in http etc for google, it doesnt load anything and times out. Have spoken to t mobile assistance, their advice included try removing sd card, sim and a factory reset, all to no avail.
Have just tried removing sim, but still no access to internet, However, can still type in router address and access that page ok.
I don't think it is a channel problem because of ease accessing router via wifi, whether 1M or 5M away!
I just tried leaving router security disabled and htc connected ok, but still cannot load internet pages. So, re-instated WPA&WPA2.
If all else fails, I will have to journey to the nearest EE shop and let them try. It is a pity no open access wifi nearby to try either to see if it works.
I must admit, I thought the problem may have been some sort of "blocking " by T mobile, but they say not, it should work on wifi with a payg sim. It does work on 3G data, as I soon learnt when it wiped £1 off my card yesterday whilst playing!!
Which leaves me to suspect a router "glitch" problem (not neccessarily faulty though, as other phone works and so does wife's ipad. I think I will dig out my old belkin router and re-install as a test, the one this phone used to work with.  It is unfortunate I now have 2 variables, the technicolor and the new sim. I just don't know, but I do not usually give up easily!
Thanks anyway for help.
Robin

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It WILL access the technicolor router ok, and loads ok (192.168etc in address bar) tried more than once, fine. But, if I try internet from main screen or type in http etc for google, it doesnt load anything and times out.
That sounds like it hasn't got the correct default gateway or dns settings. It would normally get those via DHCP when it connects via wifi, unless you've got it configured for static IP ( which I doubt! ) I can't understand how it would not get those correctly. Do you have the Android system Info https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.electricsheep.asi&hl=en App installed ? if so then select  System and Wifi and post what it shows under DHCP Info. If you don't have it installed then it might be simpler to install ipconfig https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mankind.ipconfig&hl=en and use that to get the same information

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Hi MisterW, have just downloaded ipconfig,
dhcp and dns server 1 are both  = 192.168.1.220 (which is same as gateway)
ip address = 192.168.1.100
I must admit this is all unknown to me, I am more used to repairing transmitters/receivers to component level. Each to their own!!
Robin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

dhcp and dns server 1 are both  = 192.168.1.220 (which is same as gateway)
That doesn't sound right. Is that the address of the Technicolor router ? normally its 192.168.1.254

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks. Isnt the .254 just the router address for home page?
From Home Network overview page, I copied the following:

Janets-iPad
Information

Type: Generic Device
Connected To: WLAN (Wireless)
Allowed on WLAN: Yes
Addressing

Physical Address: 3c:e0:72:c6:e5:8e
IP Address Assignment: DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.65
Always use the same IP address: No
DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 19:33:55
Connection Sharing
There is no game or service assigned to this device.

My Samsung S3

:
android-8a533cfddf65af11
Information

Addressing

Physical Address: 90:18:7c:7d:2a:c4
IP Address Assignment: DHCP
IP Address: 192.168.1.75
Always use the same IP address: No
DHCP Lease Time: 0 days, 23:54:31
Connection Sharing
My HTC:
Unknown-d8-b3-77-d3-98-9a
Information

Addressing

Physical Address: d8:b3:77:d3:98:9a
IP Address Assignment: Unknown
IP Address: 192.168.1.95
Connection Sharing

I tried logging into router from HTC (which it did ok) and got the .95 as above, BUT, then next checking "ipconfig"app on HTC still gave .100 as ip address.  (??)
As I said before, It is all a strange language to me, but  IP Address Assignment: Unknown seems strange.
Hope this gives you an idea?
Thanks again, Robin
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No the .254 address is for everything on the router.
On the htc, open the wifi, then click on the ":" icon and choose advanced, and check there isn't any static stuff in there.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Can you check that your phone is set for DHCP?  Go into Settings and press and hold the name of your wireless network.  The select 'Modify Network' and then 'Show Advanced Settings'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Thanks. Isnt the .254 just the router address for home page?
.254 is the IP address ofthe router. When a client gets it's IP address from the router via DHCP then it will be given .254 as the gateway and the primary DNS. Sounds like your HTC isn't set to get it's IP address via DHCP , or it's getting an IP address from another DHCP server?Huh
Lets check that the HTC is set for DHCP, on the HTC, open the Settings App, tap Wifi and then select (long tap) your Wifi from the list. That should give you a Forget / Modify option, select modify and then check the show advanced options. Against the IP settings it should show DHCP, if it says static then change it to DHCP.
edit: pwatson beat me to it

francoise-hardy
Grafter

Thanks both.
Settings> wireless and networks > Wi-fi settings > Wifi networks> plusnet . Holding this
I can only get a forget network or change password offer.
Cannot see DHCP anywhere.
However, accessed advanced by using settings bar at bottom of screen (next to home button)  route,
IP address 192.168.1.100
Use static IP is unchecked
DLNA auto-IP is unchecked (check to use DLNA when no DHCP server is available.)
Still cannot see DHCP
ps
I will only be at pc occasionally as have visitors arriving.
Thanks for your patience and time
Robin
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Settings> wireless and networks > Wi-fi settings > Wifi networks> plusnet . Holding this
I can only get a forget network or change password offer.
Cannot see DHCP anywhere.
Ahh!, I suspect you're running an earlier version of android that pwatson or myself, probably 2.3 as against the 4.2 on my Nexus7.
However, accessed advanced by using settings bar at bottom of screen (next to home button)  route,
IP address 192.168.1.100
Use static IP is unchecked
I really don't understand where it's getting the .100 address from, and the .220 it has as the gateway. One alternative to try might actually be to try setting a static IP with the correct gateway etc from that setting menu as described here http://support.unblock-us.com/customer/portal/articles/291571 . Use a static IP of 192.168.1.63 (outside the routers DHCP pool) and a gateway and DNS of 192.168.1.254. See what that achieves. Having set a static IP it might then be interesting to go back to the wifi settings and see if there's an option now to revert back to DHCP...

francoise-hardy
Grafter

YES!!!!
As static IP it now works.
THANK YOU for your help, time and patience.
BTW, will it all need changing if for example I try a public wifi access point?
Just curious, as it is mainly intended for around the house and in my workshop.
Kind regards, Robin
HairyMcbiker
All Star

It shouldn't need changed for an open wifi/public one. Mind you it shouldn't have needed changed for this one either  Smiley