cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot connect PlusNet Router to Netgear Range Extender - Help please!

MimiJane
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Cannot connect PlusNet Router to Netgear Range Extender - Help please!

I've recently joined PlusNet and have a wired desk-top set-up upstairs and want to be able to use my laptop downstairs.  I cannot connect the PlusNet router to my Netgear range extender  (WN3000RP).  I've tried both my password key and pressing the WPS button on the router, but cannot connect either way.
This was not a problem with my previous ISP's router and, having googled this, other people seem to have the same problem with PlusNet's router and Netgear range extenders.
Is there a fix for this/a way round it?
Grateful for any help.
10 REPLIES 10
MimiJane
Dabbler

Re: Cannot connect PlusNet Router to Netgear Range Extender - Help please!

I thought I'd managed to rectify the problem and connect it up, but I'm now getting "Unidentified Network - no access to the Internet" ...
MimiJane
Dabbler

Can no-one give me any guidance/advice on this? Sad
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

I've never used the Netgear, so I can't really give any advice. Someone appears to have had a similar problem here though. That advice may help.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
MimiJane
Dabbler

Thanks for the info. peeps.  I've been trying to contact Netgear, but live chat isn't available for "old" products and it's refusing to allow me to post on the forum (even though I'm registered and "activated"), so given up there.  I may have to try ringing them, though no doubt it's pretty expensive  Undecided
Unfortunately, the post re. the person with a similar problem doesn't help me, as they did manage to contact Netgear, who helped them resolve the problem.
I appreciate the replies and will keep trying Netgear.
Routefinder
Grafter

Hi
Can I ask the obvious and sorry if you have already done this???
Have you reset it to clear all previous settings?
If so have you followed the instructions.....
Here for the original model http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/20912
Or here if you have v2 model http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24641
For the record I have never used this product but sometimes it pays to just get back to basics and start with a clean slate Smiley  Incidently neither do I use the PN router but a Billion model.................though I have used Netgear router before that and I found it to be a reliable and robust bit of kit.
Oh, just a thought.  As the extender appears to be like any other WiFi device when it comes to connecting I wonder if the Channel that the Thomson router is using is shared with too many devices and as such you are getting channel interference causing the Netgear to try to seek another router???   If you have an Android phone I recommend the "WiFi Analyser app" to detect all WiFi around you so that you can use it to guide you to the channel with the least shares..............do the analysis both at the Router location and the Extender location in case the channel the router is set to at the extender location is either/or too weak or too shared.
Best of luck and HTH to resolve the problem? Smiley
PS this is the app I use https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.farproc.wifi.analyzer&hl=en_GB
MimiJane
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply and all your links.  I've actually googled and been through the set-up you' ve linked to and still get no internet access but, thank you anyway.  I've also reset it to factory settings. Unfortunately I cannot use the App as I only have a basic mobile.
sgotty

Hi folks,
Well - having had the same problem I think I've solved it. It appears that the NetGear extender doesn't like the default password that the plus net router uses (I hadn't bothered to change mine since getting plus net last year). So, don't use the automatic WPS setup as this will try to keep the same password. Instead use the Netgear setup genie (if you've already used WPS you'll need to reset the extender using the old paper clip in the tiny hole trick!).
Simply follow the setup steps and then when it gets to the point where it says "Use the same password" (or words to that effect), unstick the box and create a separate password.
And it appears to have worked! Whooppeee!
Good luck - let me know if it works for others.
S
JillMB

Hello
I know this is very old now, but wondering if you can help. My previous router was Netgear and I have a Netgear extender which does not want to connect the the new Plusnet router. I also have Netgear Genie, but I'm not sure where or how to connect to the extender through that. Could you please provide a bit more detail?
JillMB

Nevermind! I wasn't pressing factory reset for long enough! Connected now. Smiley