Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you help me understand please?

Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

Can you help me understand please?

Every few months my BB speed slowly decreases. In the past PN have upped my profile and all is well for a couple of months then it all starts again. Over the last month my speed has dropped again from 4.3Mb/s to 3.2Mb/s a drop approx 25%.

I don't understand why it appears to happen with regular monotony. Yesterday morning at 9.00 I reset my router and the router stats tell me my data rate increased to 5728 from 4300 although my speed over night has only increased to 3,6Mb/s
Status No Defect
                                  Downstream      Upstream
Data rate (Kbps)  5728            448
Noise margin (dB)     9.0         19.0
Output power (dBm)      19.8         11.9
Attenuation (dB)           15.5         29.5
Today up on checking the router data rate has dropped to 5056Kbps and the attenuation has risen from 15.5 to 53db I'm just less 3K from the exchange but only 100mtrs from the green cabinet..
Is this looking like some sort of fault or is it normal? I have the new ADSL V10 socket fitted just over 2 years ago so my router is plugged into the only socket it can be. My speed tests show it's the same whether I'm wireless or hard wired.
It's doing my head in because I don't understand why I can almost set my watch by it.
3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Can you help me understand please?

I'd suspect that there is an issue somewhere from what you've mentioned. With such an increase in the attenuation there could be a line fault at play, I'd do what you can to rule out the equipment in your premises first if you want to try and nail this.
I'm wondering though, have you noticed any problems using the phone line at all? you might want to try the quiet line test by calling 17070.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Mayfly.
What model modem/router is that? That 15.5dB looks like a familiar misreporting of the attenuation that was quite common on a number of mode/routers a few years ago. 53db is more consistent with the distance you think you are from the exchange (is that as the crow flies?) as your actual line length is going to be longer. It's also consistent with the upstream attenuation.
The sync speeds (data rate on your modem/router) are quite good for the length line you seem to have.
You may have some regular noise/interference issues with your connection (maybe, not necessarily audible) especially overnight. I'd guess that over a period of time, your Target Noise margin is rising due to this, resulting in slower speed.
Is it an overhead line? Are the lines from the cab to exchange overhead or underground?
Do you leave the modem/router on 24/7?
Mayfly
All Star
Fixes: 1

The distance from the exchange is from Sams Knows and yes I think it  will be a little longer but not much as it's basically a straight road from there to my house. The route is a Belkin54g it is a few years old but has [so far as I know] never given me any problem and is left on 24/7. I have been told before the line seems decent for the distance from the exchange but to me if I can get speeds of 4.3Mb at times lasting 2-3 weeks why not most of the time?
The line is overhead. from the cabinet.
I have done a line test and to my untrained ear I can't detect any problems.
I'm away for a little while at the end of the end of the week so will pick this up again later next month - thanks for help guys.