cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have 2 ADSL connections?

jacob47

Can you have 2 ADSL connections?

Hey guys

Not sure If I am asking the right question or thinking about things correctly here, but here goes..

I have a Plusnet fibre broadband package, and we have our router set up into a BT single phone line socket in our living room via and ADSL filter. The issue is that in a downstairs bedroom, I get a really weak wifi signal. In that bedroom there is another BT phone socket, and when I take the router down there and plug it in it works brilliantly.

My question is, can I leave the router upstairs, and plug something in to the phone line socket downstairs to get a great connection downstairs as well? Either wireless or wired as it will be for an xbox anyway. 

Any help would be great!

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Can you have 2 ADSL connections?

Welcome to the forum.

You are asking the wrong question. What you need is to extend the signal from your VDSL, not ADSL router to the other location. You cannot do this over the telephone line. 

By far the best solution is to run an Ethernet cable between the two locations. These look the same sort of size as telephone wire but the construction is totally different. If you are new to this then you can buy ready terminated lengths. One end of this plugs into one of the yellow LAN sockets on the router, the other into your X Box.

Other options are wireless extenders, that you plug in halfway between the two to boost the wireless signals and Powerline Units that transmit the Ethernet signals over the house mains wiring. Each have their issues so it's difficult to know which wouls be best for you.

Note that if you keep unplugging your router and moving it the BT automatic systems will think that you have a fault and will slow your connection down to try to compensate.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Dumbledore
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 34

Hello @jacob47

Pretty much @Baldrick1 has answered your query in a detailed manner, we would have advised this too.

In regards to having another master socket that is able to facilitate a connection, you can apply for this, however, it will count as a separate connection and therefore you will have two active services at your address (e.g one for downstairs & one for upstairs)

It is an option you can use. However, for a more cost-effective solution, I would look at wireless extenders and running an ethernet cable between the two locations.

Kind regards.

jacob47

Ok thanks for the responses, very helpful!

I will look into powerline adapters or wifi boosters. Running ethernet isn't possible as its rented accommodation!

Thanks again

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@jacob47 

If you’re looking at Powerline Units then this might make useful reading before you spend money. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Powerline-Unit-Performance/m-p/1607450...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'