cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you disconnect certain devices from the internet?

Cagney1994
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Can you disconnect certain devices from the internet?

Hi all
As the thread title states, is it possible to disconnect certain devices from the internet? Unfortunately when I hit 'Disconnect (from Broadband Connection), it cancels all devices.
Thanks in advance.
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Can you disconnect certain devices from the internet?

which router
permanently or temporarily
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Quote from: Oldjim
which router
permanently or temporarily

Hi Jim.
The router's the TG582. And I'd like both options of permanent and temporary if possible.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

only via telnet http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#macaccess and only for wireless
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks Jim. And I typed in (at the Command prompt) :
"wireless macacl list
wireless macacl modify ssid_id=0 radio_id=00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny
" (where the 00s and x's have been replaced by the Physcial Address of the device)...
.... and it says 'station not present' when it's actually 'active' in 'Home Network'  Huh
Am I doing it wrong ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

There is a problem
The list of devices shown on the Home Network isn't actually the ones which are active only those which have been at some time
You need to telnet in again to find which ones are active
Cagney1994
Rising Star

The device I want to disconnect certainly is 'Active'. I've double-checked. I've even disconnected the device myself and the little green tick which is usually there (for an 'Active' device) is gone. And then obviously I've reconnected and the green tick reappears again.
Could there be a problem with the instructions themselves?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea - I suggest sending a pm to npr asking him http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=20525
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Ok thanks.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Cagney1994
wireless macacl modify ssid_id=0 radio_id=00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny

You may have just missed a bit out when copying it to the forum, but if not, it should be:
wireless macacl modify ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny

npr's website says you need to do "wireless macacl add ..." first, so I suppose you could just do "wireless macacl add ... permission=deny".
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks ejs. I've tried using the code you gave but it still responds with 'station not present'. And can you sort of expand on doing the "wireless macacl add....first" bit again. I'm not sure what you mean.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Sorry, it was the the same modify line, but with modify replaced by add. So in full it would be:
wireless macacl add ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=00:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Cheers. And I'm not sure if it's worked. The 'station not present' message hasn't shown so hopefully it should be ok. And I'm doing all this wirelessly. Would it make any different if I was connected via ethernet ?
Also, would the device that I need to disconnect, not be connected to the internet at the time of what I'm trying to do ?
EDIT: unfortunately it looks as if it's still connected (i.e. still showing as 'Active' in Home Network).
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I've just dug out my old TG582n and tried these commands copied directly from the web page and pasted directly in to my telnet window.
I just modified "xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx", in the telnet window, to the target devices mac address.
eg
wireless macacl add ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=allow

running the following command shows the above mac ans SSID has been added to the list.
wireless macacl list

Running the following command disconnects the target device from wifi and doesn't allow it the reconnect.
wireless macacl modify ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=deny

Running the following command allows the device to reconnect to wifi.
wireless macacl modify ssid_id=0 radio_id=0 hwaddr=xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx permission=allow

So sorry I have no idea why it's not working for Cagney1994, I can only guess the wireless devices mac address has been mistyped.
Also:
Please use the command  "wireless macacl list" to see if the device has been added.
Please check ssid_id and radio_id both equal zero (=0)
Please recheck the mac address used.
Note:
Ethernet ports can also be disable if you wish to kick off a wired connected device.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#eth
Cagney1994
Rising Star

Thanks your post npr. And I only got one result back from the command line "wireless macacl list". There's about 6 different devices active at the moment on wireless  Shocked
Should they all be showing ?