cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we do anything about the BT speedtest?

mickm
Grafter

Can we do anything about the BT speedtest?

Am I the only one that thinks that the BT speedtest is so bad that it just gets in the way of reporting faults? I used to teach computer science at university and I would have failed any student who produced such awful software. BT management should be ashamed of making it visible as one face of BT on the web.
Why do I say this? Here are a few examples of things I have noticed while trying to have a fault fixed (being dealt with via a ticket).
The software is critically dependent on the version of Java used - why doesn't the software detect this and link to the Java update site? Before I discovered this and updated my Java the initial screen just failed to load properly.
When you finally persuade it to run, you are presented with a box that repeats you phone number back to you for confirmation. Doesn't the interface designer know that this is well known to be a total waste of time? Most users simply read what they expect to see there and click on Yes. If they really want to confirm the number then ask for it to be entered twice, otherwise don't bother.
If test1 is below the lowest acceptable rate, you are asked to go on to test3. The screen that does this has a typo that's been there for months -  "equired" at the top of the page.
Since my speed problems started, I've been asked to do test3 several times and it has failed every time. Usually it fails to reconnect with the username that you are asked to use. On the rare occasion that it does manage to log in it exits abruptly with a test fail message. I accept that this may be because of something in my local setup but why is public facing software so dependent on the user's setup? If it is necessary to have it this way, why are there no diagnostics available to help me find out what I need to change?
I know I'm a grumpy old man but it's making me even worse! What do other users think?
Mick
53 REPLIES 53
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Can we do anything about the BT speedtest?

Hero to zero since the fairly recent upgrade.  Sad
It used to be slow and slightly under-report compared with most other testers - now it's superquick but prone to completely bonkers results (especially download) - when it's "correct" it still apparently slightly under-reports, but overalll it just can't be trusted at the moment as far as I'm concerned.
mickm
Grafter

I was so fed up when I made the original post that my real message got lost in the rant! I do think that this is an important issue for Plusnet though.
Everyone who reports a broadband fault is asked to run the BT speed test. It is easily the worst interface of any of the available speed testers and very frustrating to use as it's liable to fail without any explanation, particularly if you are asked to go on to test3. A lot of users don't realise that Plusnet have no control over the test software and simply go away with the impression that the Plusnet fault reporting process is rubbish.
It also fails to provide the testing that I would like and I'm sure there are lots of others in my situation.
I currently have a speed problem (ticket 53354400) where I am monitoring download speeds which are all over the place. My setup at home is very typical - PC a long way from the test socket, so what I'd like to do is run tests on my PC, wireless to the modem. If I get a low download speed I'd like to plug an old modem and laptop into the test socket and see if the speed is the same. I can't run the test for another hour by which time my download speed will have totally changed anyway. I've done this several times with other speed tests so I'm sure in my own mind that the problem is external but of course BT will only accept results from their own tester!
Mick
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: JayG
- now it's superquick

It used to take forever to 'check user details' now it takes forever to' send results to server' Tongue
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
JayG
Pro

Still superquick for me (unfortunately also often "superwrong"!)  Roll_eyes
JayG
Pro

Still having problems with the main (not Beta) BT performance tester.
Over the last couple of days it has timed out having apparently completed either just one or both tests, sometimes just reports "an error has occured" (sic) and when it does manage to produce the report it consistently shows my upstream rate as zero (it's actually around 1Mbps.)
Anyone else?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Could you post a screen grab of that?
JayG
Pro

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that. Not sure what I can do about it though, but I'll keep an eye out for any other funkiness like that  Smiley
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

i just got a weird one as well  Cheesy
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Same for me. Networx showed normal upload speeds during the upload test but the result is reported as zero.
David
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

I've been getting this message all today - six or seven occasions -
Your speed test has completed and the results are shown above, however during the test an error occurred while trying to retrieve additional details regarding your service. As a result we are unable to determine if the speed you received during the test is acceptable for your service. Please re-run the test if you require this additional information.
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can I have screen grabs for these, guys?
JayG
Pro

If you are referring these back to your supplier they might also be interested in this one from yesterday (not Greek but might as well be to me!)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Yesterday I did a BT speed test and download was around 23k causing it to offer me additional tests which I haven't seen before ( JD speed-tester was averaging around 5.5Mbs)
Today's tests attached below, done at around 13:00 hrs.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine