Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Thomson be used as router only

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

Re: Can the Thomson be used as router only

The manual isn't great but from what I can see, that should be fine.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

The only downside is that I would have no idea if it worked till I took it to my b-i-law.

I see no reason why you couldn't test it on your own network before you go. MisterW is very expert with his networking knowledge and I'm sure could explain how to do it  Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I think I'd better go and see if I can borrow my colleagues old TG585 Smiley If I set that one up with a WAN port then he can use it as a backup on his FTTC connection.
I should then be able to save the config file and send it to you Mav, then you can load it to yours.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Hey, that would be great and well above and beyond the call of duty.
Further searching leads me to the ASUS RTN-12 for which I have seen better reviews on its ease of set up.
But any saving that can be made by making use of my spare Thomson would be great. Do you want me to dig it out and confirm what version software it has?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Actually it might be useful to know whether you spare ones are TG585v7 or v8.

Mav
Fixes: 515

I have one of each Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ok, that makes it a little easier. I'll see my colleague tomorrow, so let's hope I remember to ask him about his spare router. Smiley