Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the Thomson be used as router only

Mav
Fixes: 515

Can the Thomson be used as router only

Title says it all, really.
I have a couple of spare Thomson (v7 & v8) routers. SWMBO's brother in Ukraine has an Ethernet (LAN) cable that comes into the property and connects straight to his PC (no modem involved) but he would like to make use of wireless.
So, can the Thomson be used by connecting the Ethernet cable direct to the DSL of the Thomson and then use its wireless capabilities or is it more complicated than that?
Edit: Do the instructions here cover his needs?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

21 REPLIES 21
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can the Thomson be used as router only

Those instructions are not what is needed because they are for when you have an existing router handling DHCP and acting as a gateway and handling NAT, the instructions just turn it in to a dumb Wireless access point.
You can't connect Ethernet to the DSL (that goes through the modem which is built in to the router). You'd be needing to use the WAN/internet port. It might need different firmware.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mav

Jelv, if I'm understanding you correctly, the cable coming into the property should be connected to one of the yellow ports and then his PC can be connected to one of the other yellow ports and others can connect wirelessly?
All my searches have not thrown any details about firmware.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I haven't got one of those so the colour of the ports means nothing to me. My uncertainty about the firmware is because effectively you are wanting the router to act in the same way as the routers Plusnet supply for fibre when you have a BT modem supplying an ethernet connection that can either go direct to the Pc or to a router - in that case PN supply routers with different firmware.
Mav

Quote from: jelv
I haven't got one of those so the colour of the ports means nothing to me.

I thought the colours were standard (same on the TT router) Smiley
Maybe someone else has achieved the above with the Thomson or even the Netgear DG834G.
Failing that, does anyone have any recommendations that I can search for on ebay?

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think what you need is a standard wireless cable router, but it's not anything I've ever done.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

What numbers come out if your brother-in-law runs the ipconfig /all command?  If the Gateway and DNS Server are internet IP addresses then it's a pretty safe bet that he needs a Cable Router.  But if these have local network IP addresses then you could probably use any spare wireless router by following the instructions you found.  I think this latter case is unlikely. 
Mav

Hi ReedRichards
I logged into his PC and his IPv4 address isn't private (local) and an IP Lookup shows it to be that of his telcoms company.
His Default Gateway is similar just the last three higher by 6
So, listening to what you said above he would require a cable router.
I simply don't understand but it seems that the cable entering his premises just plugs direct into his Ethernet port on the PC - no other box/router involved.
My b-i-law sent a link from his ISP showing how it is set up so I have attached a copy of the diagram here. They have the word Commutator but I assume it is the Russian way for saying router.
As you can see, the cable enters in the basement to a modem then is distributed to each flat of which there are around 64 but not every flat has internet. His speeds have varied between 8 or 9 to 70Mbps and around 9Mbps UL.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think the point is that the router in your brother-in-laws's flat needs to end up with the same IP address and gateway IP address as are assigned to the computer when plugged directly into the cable.  A cable router  is designed to do this whereas I don't see how you could achieve the same thing using a router with a built-in ADSL modem.  You would probably find a greater pool of expertise if you posted on the Broadband and Routers forum. 
Mav

Quote from: ReedRichards
You would probably find a greater pool of expertise if you posted on the Broadband and Routers forum. 

Would a mod kindly move this topic to Broadband & Routers or shall I start a brand new thread?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

done
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

@Mav, If you're up for a challenge then I'm fairly sure that the TG585 can be configured to do what you need, its not simple though!
In principle you configure one of its Ethernet ports as a WAN port and then connect that port to the incoming network connection.
I've been reading some of the application notes on the Speedtouch routers here http://download.modem-help.co.uk/mfcs-A/Alcatel/Modems/TG582n/v1/Manuals/Application-Notes/ recently and they appear to be very configurable but only via the CLI.
There are some instructions here http://network.wiki.xs4all.nl/index.php?title=How_use_a_cable_modem_with_your_SpeedTouch which outline what needs to be done to reconfigure Ethernet port 4 as a WAN port.
Let me know if you want to try it and I'll try and sort out what's needed to try it in your existing environment with one of the spare TG585's.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

@Oldjim Thanks
@MisterW Sounds interesting and could save some money. The only downside is that I would have no idea if it worked till I took it to my b-i-law. Or are you suggesting that if I  connecteda re-configured port by Ethernet tomy Netgear and temporarily turned off the Netgear's Wireless then I should be able to get connected wirelessly through the Thomson?
Failing that, what about something like this Belkin

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

It might actually be cheaper ( and easier! ) for him to buy a router. That Belkin would be fine or something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR841N-300Mbs-Wireless-Router/dp/B001FWYGJS/ref=pd_cp_ce_0.

Or are you suggesting that if I  connecteda re-configured port by Ethernet tomy Netgear

Basically, yes. What I was going to suggest is configuring the spare TG585 with a WAN port, with its local IP/DHCP on a different subnet to your Netgear and then plugging its WAN port into a LAN port on the Netgear. The WAN port on the TG585 should then be given an IP from the Netgear and you could then connect wirlessly/wired to the TG585 which should then route to the internet via the Netgear. Yes, you will have a double NAT situation but for the purposes of testing that's not a problem. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav

What are your thoughts on this ASUS RTN10 router.
It can be bought in Ukraine for $28 - looking at the specs it seems to be what is required and would save a lot of hassle my end just to find the Thomson didn't work once there.