Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send email to Hotmail accounts

Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Can't send email to Hotmail accounts

Hi all,
I'm experiencing a problem whereby my emails to any of my friends with Hotmail accounts are being rejected, with my IP being blocked.
I'm using Apple's Mail software to send and receive mail from a yahoo account and get the following reply:
<xxxxxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk>:
Connected to xx.xx.xxx.xxx but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 550 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. We recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their e-mail lists. For enrollment instructions, please refer to: http://postmaster.live.com/Services.aspx#JMRPP. For additional information about Microsoft's technical guidelines, please refer to: http://postmaster.live.com/Guidelines.aspx
Is this something I can rectify myself or is it something at PlusNet's end? Any help would be appreciated. Ta.
14 REPLIES 14
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Can't send email to Hotmail accounts

Hi there,
Is there any indication in the failed delivery notification about the IP address that  has been blocked and does this happen all the time or intermittently?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Seems like PlusNet may have been blacklisted by Hotmail. Get your friend to whitelist you so they can recieve emails from you, and that should probably help get PlusNet off the blacklist to boot.
Will be something PlusNet will need to look into, and will I imagine.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

But if he is sending via Yahoo then that would suggest Yahoo have been blocked - unless Microsoft walk the entire delivery chain
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If he's using Yahoo's mail servers then yes. If he's sending from a Yahoo address using our mail servers then it will be our servers that are being black listed.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Thanks for the quick responses.
The failed delivery response gives the IP addresses it's tried to connect to (that I turned to x's in my post).
In the further copy of my message below the failure notice it also mentions (next to the first part of my yahoo email address) the IP of: 87.112.11.223. The only other IP address mentioned is my one that the router gives my mac 192.168.0.2.
I can't say if it's intermittent or not as this is the first time in a while I've contact these particular friends with hotmail accounts. I think the last time was maybe over a year ago.
I'm using the incoming and outgoing server details supplied by yahoo for use with 3rd party mail clients.
I could post the entire message if it helps.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's the customer's dynamic IP that we assign them. If they using Yahoo webmail (are they?) to send the message then its mail servers may well log the originating IP of customers logged into the platform.
Providing a copy of the full message complete with headers would certainly help however I'd obfuscate any legitimate email addresses.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

OK, here's the message:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at yahoo.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.
<xxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.co.uk>:
Remote host said: 550 Mail rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. A block has been placed against your IP address because we have received complaints concerning mail coming from that IP address. We recommend enrolling in our Junk E-Mail Reporting Program (JMRP), a free program intended to help senders remove unwanted recipients from their e-mail lists. For enrollment instructions, please refer to: http://postmaster.live.com/Services.aspx#JMRPP. For additional information about Microsoft's technical guidelines, please refer to: http://postmaster.live.com/Guidelines.aspx
<xxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>:
<xxxxxxxxxx@hotmail.com>:
--- Below this line is a copy of the message.
Return-Path: <xxxxxxxxxx@yahoo.co.uk>
Received: (qmail 77561 invoked from network); 10 Oct 2007 11:55:49 -0000
DomainKey-Signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws;
  s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk;
  h=Received:X-YMail-OSG:Mime-Version:Content-Transfer-Encoding:Message-Id:Content-Type:To:From:Subject:Date:X-Mailer;
  b=g1np+72DvkdyozU1+i3BZb9d1lg2hthjIh0qD1KcqiNq6r3cuTwN6x+3MvRs0Y/B4vN3PvXzDdp
                  wMXfbupRL0Fva5BKHcm3qiurV4cQZxMUMXZSLRGVos8sCRG2ESCDpszIU2bb+Kex7H59SC76aZih4olpjNqH3DRmr2AJ8JzM=  ;
Received: from unknown (HELO ?192.168.0.2?) (xxxxxxxxxx@87.112.11.223 with plain)
  by smtp007.mail.ukl.yahoo.com with SMTP; 10 Oct 2007 11:55:49 -0000
X-YMail-OSG: 9zHa2jQVM1m0XTJN5OmO6oVJIOHFf862FC9Kx_fERML21fZE3QDv6_A5WxEmKJmSvsg_g.Ah
                  Wuoho1e7d4xQQyDrFd2XMjKLPlMh6agKIlzXdxvO
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v624)
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-Id: <7c6a1662eb869f70641cb91999c76658@yahoo.co.uk>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII; format=flowed
To: xxx <xxxx@hotmail.co.uk>,
xxx <xxxx@blueyonder.co.uk>,
xxx <xxxx@yahoo.co.uk>,
xxx <xxxx@hotmail.com>,
xxx <xxxx@xxx.co.uk>,
xxx <xxxx@hotmail.com>,
xxx <xxxx@gmail.com>,
xxx <xxxx@xxx.ac.uk>
Subject: New radiohead album out for download
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 12:55:43 +0100
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.624)
Hello peeps,
Only found out but Radiohead's new album is available today as a
download from their site:
http://www.inrainbows.com/Store/Quickindex.html
In what appears to be a brave move, they let you decide how much you
want to pay for it. Buy it for nowt or pay whatever you like. You can
pre-order a hard copy if you wish too, due out in December with various
bits and pieces in it.
I know, strange. Maybe it's all an experiment. All you have to do is
register.
I've currently got it playing and it seems to follow in a similar style
to Kid A and Amnesiac.
Enjoy
fceluk
Grafter

I'm currently relaying smtp thro' f9 as AOL blocks our mail otherwise.
Unfortunately because f9 are on some obscure blacklist one of our South American customers blocks our mail.
Swings and Roundabouts
Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

I don't know if this helps or not, but I resent to the hotmail addresses via my plusnet account and nothing's bounced back as of yet, whereas before the failure notice was very swift in coming back.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looks like a Yahoo issue then. I'm guessing Windows Live are blocking Yahoo's SMTP servers (smtp007.mail.ukl.yahoo.com?). Not much we can do about this but it might be worth making Yahoo aware (although I'm pretty sure they already will be).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Beetroot_Bertie
Grafter

Thanks Bob. To my knowledge my outgoing server is: smtp.mail.yahoo.co.uk
I'll see if it happens again anytime soon.
vof
Grafter

I suspect that Hotmail have recently introduced some over-zealous spam filtering since one of my clients who uses Eclipse started to see exactly the same response to attempts to mail Hotmail accounts starting Monday past.
The response from Eclipse support was:
"It is currently not possible to send email to Hotmail addresses via the Eclipse mail servers. Attempts to send mail to a Hotmail address will result in an undeliverable message and you will need to resend your email once the issue has been resolved. This also means invoices sent to our customers with Hotmail addresses may also be delayed. Engineers are investigating. We apologise for any inconvenience caused."
It may be little more than the problems PN have had very recently when making spam determination on the basis of rDNS existence (or lack of it). The Eclipse IP block seems not to have rDNS configured.
vof
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Just for the record, the last time I checked there were issues sending to Hotmail accounts from Webmail. We tried to sort this out but after quite a bit of dialogue with Hotmail support we didn't really get anywhere. We had similar problems with @mail when we were using that for Webmail.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Be3G
Grafter

Also, a couple of years ago I had many problems trying to e-mail Hotmail users when using Apple's Mail application - e-mails would just go missing without me even getting a bounce message. I was eventually advised by someone at Hotmail (not the standard CSC) that there was an 'issue' with Hotmail receiving e-mails sent from Apple's Mail app, and that the way around it was to put the Hotmail address being sent to as a 'CC' address in the application. Which did indeed seem to work. I have no idea if this is related to the problem in this thread - in fact it probably isn't, seeing as the OP's receiving bounce notifications - but I thought I'd mention it anyway, just in case.