cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't seem to access content share or printer on TG582n

anubeon
Dabbler

Can't seem to access content share or printer on TG582n

I recently upgraded to FTTC with Plusnet and had to switch to the provided router, the Technicolor TG582n. I have it on reliable authority that this router is capable of sharing both a printer and/or one or more external HDD (via a USB hub) via its USB port. Alas, I haven't been able to access either from any of my Ubuntu machines. I've set up the printer as best I know (using the same settings I was using with my previous router, a Home Hub 2.0A, which should work; HOST=192.168.1.253, QUEUE=Printer), but printing a test page just throws up a 'printer unreachable' error message. Similarly, whilst the new router sees the HDD, I cannot seem to access, view or mount the share from Ubuntu. For example, if I open gigolo, it is able to detect all local resource except the offending printer and HDD. If I input smbclient -L 192.168.1.253, I receive similar 'host unreachable' error messages, if I input smb://192.168.1.253/ (or smb://192.168.1.253/Disk_a1/media, or smb://192.168.1.253/media, etc) I get nowhere.
Another thing that perplexes me is what the IP address (169.154.85.151) displayed in the TG582n's content sharing configuration (see attached) is. My understanding was that content sharing was hosted on 192.168.1.253.
I'm not ashamed to say (well, maybe a little bit) that samba scares the living daylights out of me. Perhaps I've mis-configured it somewhere along the line, or am missing a vital package. If anyone has a clue how one would go about mounting a HDD via the TG582n's content sharing feature, on an Ubuntu/Linux system, and/or how one might go about sharing a USB printer over the network via the TG582n's reported print sharing feature , with an Ubuntu/Linux system, I'd very much appreciate the assistance.
I've gleaned as much as a can from the sporadic documentation (regarding content sharing on Windows and Mac systems) available online, and am frankly a little mythed that my current set-up/settings aren't working (it was all so much simply with the Home Hub).
4 REPLIES 4
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: Can't seem to access content share or printer on TG582n

It shares it on the external ip address for some reason.
I believe it also only works on fat/32 drives not ext or ntfs.
anubeon
Dabbler

What documentation I was able to locate seemed to indicate that FAT, HFS and Ext2/3 would work (NTFS won't – licencing or instability?). In any case, that wouldn't explain why my printer is unreachable. I think I shall have to try reformatting the HDD to FAT and connecting each device directly to the routers USB port (rather than via a USB hub) and see if that works.
Also, that IP address still perplexes me. It's certainly not my external IP address. In fact according to ip-tracker.org it's a NASA IP in Huntsville.  Huh
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

The address you've got is actually 169.254.85.151 and it's an Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) IP generated when a device fails to get an IP via DHCP

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

anubeon
Dabbler

"The address you've got is actually 169.254.85.151 and it's an Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) IP generated when a device fails to get an IP via DHCP"

Aha! That's the culprit! I must have disabled DHCP at some point and forgot to re-enable it. After enabling DHCP the content shares now appear in gigolo, and I'm willing to bet that the printer will be reachable now.
Thanks MisterW for clarifying precisely what that IP assignment was, and confirming that NASA doesn't have access to my network shares and printer. 😉