cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't enter update URL for dynamic DNS on Thomson 585 v8 with non-listed service

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Can't enter update URL for dynamic DNS on Thomson 585 v8 with non-listed service

I'm trying to set up Dynamic DNS on my v8 router. I have signed up with DNSdynamic and tried to configure the v8  to update it, but it doesn't list DNSDynamic in the provider drop-down box. I have selected custom, but this doesn't provide any options to customise, so it seems rather pointless.
How do I configure the router to update my provider, please?
2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can't enter update URL for dynamic DNS on Thomson 585 v8 with non-listed service

Looks like you may need to Telnet into the router and use the CLI to change the custom DNS provider.
Have a look at this http://www.eddgrant.com/blog/EdD/entry/setting_up_dynamic_dns_using

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

kjpetrie
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Can't enter update URL for dynamic DNS on Thomson 585 v8 with non-listed service

Thank you. Actually, I've now installed ddclient and set it to use a PERL script to telnet into the router to read the IP address.
The provider suggests software update clients are more reliable anyway (though I wouldn't mind betting it's what the router uses behind the scenes).
It'll do for now, anyway.
Thanks again.