cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect with pfSense PPPoE config with DG834 in bridge mode

SJD

Can't connect with pfSense PPPoE config with DG834 in bridge mode

Hi,
Successfully migrated onto Plusnet this morning. All good using my DG834 in router+modem mode (DGTeam firmware). However, on the old O2 network I used the DG834 in modem mode and set the pfSense to pick up my 'static' IP. I appreciate that was easy on O2 as they used IPoA.
Now, as I say my Plusnet ADSL connection is good in normal 'router' mode. I've put it into modem only mode, it can still sync fine, and I've configured my pfSense box with PPPoE connection and username/password info. But it just won't connect nor pick up the IP address from Plusnet. Can't figure out why, as I believe others have this working OK? Officially the connection is supposed to by PPPoA, but I hear that unofficially as it's basically a BT circuit underneath I should be able to use PPPoE on it.
What am I doing wrong? Does anyone else Plusnet DSL, the DG834 and pfSense in this config?
Thanks,
Simon
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: Can't connect with pfSense PPPoE config with DG834 in bridge mode

This thread might help http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,91932.msg769578.html#msg769578

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SJD

Thank you. I seem to be doing everything already suggested there, apart from the fact that my connection is in vc mode rather than llc. I assume that's the case whether it's either PPPoA or PPPoE...?
andy265
Grafter

We have the same setup at the office, the modem needs to be in LLC mode for pfSense to make the PPPoE connection.
SJD

Thank you very much! This was it Smiley
Don't know why, but PPPoE is LLC and PPPoA is VC Mux.
[Moderator's note by Adie (dvorak):  Full quote of preceding post removed, as per Forum Rule]
Edit to say, oops, sorry for the unnecessary quote!