cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect wirelessly to thomson router

trilobyter

Can't connect wirelessly to thomson router

Hi Everyone, this i my first post.  I've got a problem establishing a wirelss connection to the router.  I've had things set up for about 2 months and when I first got started I realised I couldn't get set up and connect wirelessly....  but I could use the ethernet cable, so I thought I'll just use this for now and sort the wireless out later. 
So now it's later... and I'm asking you for advice.  Has this happened to anyone?
I'm using a sony vaio laptop which runs ubuntu 9.10 if that's relevant.
thoughts?
5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Can't connect wirelessly to thomson router

Welcome to the forums.
Can you see the a wireless network named something like 'PlusNet_wireless..' in the list of available networks when you click on the Network Manager applet ?
I believe the PlusNet router is set to WPA/WPA2 encryption by default and the default password is on the base of the router.
You might try changing the encryption level to WPA only (you will need to connect by cable to the router to change the configuration see here http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/thomson_wireless.shtml ) to see if that helps ?
edit: it might actually be a simpler problem than above , does Ubuntu support the wireless card in your vaio ?
does the network manager applet show a wireless network section at all when you click on it ?
can you connect to other wireless networks ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

trilobyter

Thanks for the welcome  :).  Yes the plusnet wireless network appears and I can and have connected to other networks before on this laptop.
I'll try the encryption method you suggested and post back.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Whilst you are logged on to the router (to change the encryption method), check that the wireless password actually is the same as what is written on the label on the router.
trilobyter

^^I've tried changing WPA+WPA2 to just WPA but it still has the same problem... the network appears on the network manager and it tries to connect, but never connects successfully, it keeps trying and trying and after a while just times out.
^Reed, could you talk me through how you do that, please?
t.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just check the entry in the WPA-PSK encryption key on that settings page. You could even change it if you prefer.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.