Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect wirelessly to router

ed89
Grafter

Can't connect wirelessly to router

Hi all, hope someone can help.
On Monday I bought a new ipod touch. I could find my router and connect to the internet through it no problem. It could do the same on my desktop PC and on my laptop as I have been able to for the last  year.
However at about 11pm on Monday I couldn't connect, on my computers or ipod. My ipod picks up the connection but cannot connect and my laptop does not find the connection at all. I can connect if I plug in an ethernet cable between router and laptop.
Have reinstalled the router completely but the same problem continues. I cannot log into my router with the correct username and password, not locally or from my username.plus.com
Not sure what's happened...as all has been fine up until now. Spent most of yesterday evening trying to work it out to no avail.
I am in Aberdeenshire if you know of any outages.
cheers
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: Can't connect wirelessly to router

Hi Ed,
Is there any chance that you could use a cable to connect your computer to your router to see if you can log into your router at all?
xon
Grafter

Maybe the issue is the wireless channel that your router is broadcasting on? If it is broadcasting on, for example, channel 6 but your other devices are looking to connect on, say, channel 11? That would account for the fact that your equipment can see a wireless signal but could also account for the issue of not being able to connect. Also worth temporarily removing any security (WEP/WPA) while you are troubleshooting the issue, but restore security afterwards.
Login to your router using an ethernet connection and have a look at the set up for wireless. Good luck.
ed89
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Ed,
Is there any chance that you could use a cable to connect your computer to your router to see if you can log into your router at all?

Hi James - yes I can connect to the internet in this way, however after reinstalling the router completely I can't connect. I couldn't log into the router before with what I am sure is the correct username/password and I still can't.
I want to know what exactly could have happened that one minute I can connect with laptop and ipod, 10 mins later I can't. Very odd! I haven't changed anything at all.
The ipod picks up the connection name, allows me to enter the password, but can't connect. My laptop can't find the wireless connection at all.
I have removed the security for the time being but still no luck!
Undecided
cheers
James
Grafter

Thanks Ed.
What happens when you completely remove the security on the router?  Does it still ask you for a password when you tell your iPod Touch to connect?
ed89
Grafter

James - just the same. I can see it, but it won't connect. It doesn't ask for a password.
James
Grafter

Thanks Ed.
Have you tried doing a factory reset of your router and then reconfiguring it?  There should be a pin sized hole in the back of your router than you would need to hold down for about 15 seconds.
ed89
Grafter

Hi,
yes I've done that. Went through the whole install again but without setting a password this time.
James
Grafter

Strange!  I'm at a bit of a loss then.
What sort of router is it?
ed89
Grafter

It's a D-Link something or another, provided by Plusnet about 8 months ago.  Undecided
James
Grafter

Right - It sounds like it's not that healthy.
I'll get a new one sent out to you.
ed89
Grafter

That would be good James, but I cannot fathom why it has stopped working all of a sudden. I have not changed anything. About a fortnight ago I moved the router from one room to another but it had worked fine since.
I went home at lunch there. Power, DSL, Status, Internet lights all green...but now no connection showing in laptop or ipod!