cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to web interface of router after a while

paulbokel

Can't connect to web interface of router after a while

As the title says: Immediately after a reset I am able to connect to my router (192.168.1.254) and I am being presented with a loginscreen. Fine.
After a while (couple of hours), my browser can't connect with the router anymore. It looks like the web interface of the router has crashed. No loginscreen and the browser keeps waiting for the router to respond, followed by a timeout.
There is no problem at all with the internet connection, so the 'routing' bit of the router works fine.
Is this normal? I am getting a little tired of having to reset the router every time I wish to look into the settings.
8 REPLIES 8
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Can't connect to web interface of router after a while

Have you tried logging on to it both wireless and wired ?
paulbokel

I Use the Plusnet router as the interface between the fibre connection and another router that handles VOIP and wifi. The wifi on the Plusnet router is switched off.
The weird thing is that access works for a while (and a month ago that 'while' was a couple of days), and now it has gone down to a couple of hours max. Almost asif there is some memory leak in the Plusnet Router.
I connect via wifi. Will try with a cable as soon as my browser can't load the web interface of the Plusnet router via Wifi.
louialive
Grafter

When the router is not responding (and before you reboot it) can you ping the router.
If you not sure how to ping look it up on google
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Is the TG582n running firmware version 8.C.M.0 or 10.2.5.2 ?
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Quote from: paulbokel
I Use the Plusnet router as the interface between the fibre connection and another router that handles VOIP and wifi. The wifi on the Plusnet router is switched off.

Hi Paul,
Just to clarify your configuration...
[PC] < WIFi > [other router] < Ethernet > [TG582n router] < Ethernet > [BT fibre modem]
Which device(s) is (are) running DHCP / NAT / firewall service(s)?
Are the [PC] and [TG582n] in the same subnet?  What OS is the PC using?  What is the result of ping / tracert to the [TG582n] ?  Do you have other devices on the network you can try to ping / access (e.g. [other router]) successfully from [PC] and / or which can access the [TG582m]?
Lots of questions... I have seen circumstances similar to what you describe - a Vista PC becomes unable to access anything on the LAN (not just the router) whilst retaining WAN connectivity.  Attempting to renew the lease resulted in no DHCP address being acquired and loss of WAN connectivity.  Configuring the [PC] to have a fall-back IP address in the [TG582n] allowed a fail-safe which maintained WAN connectivity, if not LAN connectivity.
Rebooting the [TG582n] rectified the issue until it happened again.  I never did bottom out the issue.  I suspected a combination of Vista, ARP, marginal WiFi - this PC was the furthest from the router.
Another PC on the network whilst all of this was happening could still accesst the TG582n - examination of the network details indicated that during the [PC] lease renewal an IP address was allocated - the characteristics were as though that allocation had not been transmitted successfully to [PC].
Would be interesting to see if you have a matching finger-print to my issue.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

paulbokel

Quote from: zZz
Is the TG582n running firmware version 8.C.M.0 or 10.2.5.2 ?
http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/

Yes, I am running 10.2.5.2. Is there a newer version?
paulbokel

First of all apologies for the very slow response. abroad, bla blabla. Wink
[PC] < WIFi > [other router] < Ethernet > [TG582n router] < Ethernet > [BT fibre modem]

Correct
Which device(s) is (are) running DHCP / NAT / firewall service(s)?

The TG582n-router I've double checked, there are no other DHCP servers in the network.
Are the [PC] and [TG582n] in the same subnet?  What OS is the PC using?  What is the result of ping / tracert to the [TG582n] ?  Do you have other devices on the network you can try to ping / access (e.g. [other router]) successfully from [PC] and / or which can access the [TG582m]?

Yes, same subnet, the 'PC' is using OSX.  I have a couple of Raspberry Pi's, they all respond happily to pings and I can reach all the other devices on the network. There are no Windows devices of any kind in this network.  Wink The router responds to pings and tracert is one hop. Just connected directly to the router with a network cable to my laptop. It gets an ip address (after renewing DHCP-lease), router pings and tracert sees it too. Web interface can't be accessed though.
Lots of questions... I have seen circumstances similar to what you describe - a Vista PC becomes unable to access anything on the LAN (not just the router) whilst retaining WAN connectivity.  Attempting to renew the lease resulted in no DHCP address being acquired and loss of WAN connectivity.  Configuring the [PC] to have a fall-back IP address in the [TG582n] allowed a fail-safe which maintained WAN connectivity, if not LAN connectivity.
Rebooting the [TG582n] rectified the issue until it happened again.  I never did bottom out the issue.  I suspected a combination of Vista, ARP, marginal WiFi - this PC was the furthest from the router.

Next time the web interface becomes unresponsive, I'll try accessing it with a cable, directly on the TG. I'll keep you posted.
Would be interesting to see if you have a matching finger-print to my issue.

Maybe it's not Windows...
It feels very memory-leaky to me, just a gut-instinct.
paulbokel

Changed the configuration in the network: Wifi is now supplied by the Technicolor Router. The web interface is stable now.
FritzBox is only used for telephony and will be replaced by a raspbx-Asterisk server soon (This also allows me to unleash Lenny on telemarketeers! :D) --> http://www.reddit.com/r/itslenny/