cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Plus.net from BT Broadband (ADSL)

Taff

Can't connect to Plus.net from BT Broadband (ADSL)

I'm looking at moving a client of mine from BT Broadband to Plusnet. His broadband would not bring up the Plusnet homepage (or any other page at plus.net) yesterday afternoon, 15/12/2014, from any device - PC, Mac, iPad. All devices tried to connect with http: then with https: then timed out.
Is this normal? Is it a known problem or a BT DNS (213.120.234.6) problem? I see there was some scheduled maintenance earlier that day. It is probably in Plusnet's interests that people with BT internet can connect to you.
We turned off the Parental Control filtering but this made no difference. I could access your site without problem from a T-Mobile mobile broadband connection.
Taff
8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Can't connect to Plus.net from BT Broadband (ADSL)

I have a BT Infinity line and I can access the Plusnet website without difficulties Huh

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Stumpy21
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Bob
I have a BT Infinity line
  Shocked  Shocked  Huh
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Don't worry, I've a Plusnet Fibre line too! Cool

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

FWIW this forum site has been loading consistently slowly for me for the past few days - other websites load OK. Google DNS servers selected on PC which appear to successfully override the default PN DNS servers of TG582n.
Taff

I have a BT Infinity line and I can access the Plusnet website without difficulties Huh

Good for you, Bob, but my client on BT ADSL can't. If I try to connect to portal.plus.net it now reports:
You're seeing this page because BT Parental Controls is active and you are attempting 
to connect to a DNS server outside of our network.
You may have selected a different server in your network settings or installed an application
that uses an alternative service.

There is no DNS override. Oh well. Not really your problem.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Correct - This isn't a PN problem.  The problem is clear from the error message - Try turning of BT Parental Controls as a test and then taking the issue up with BT Wink
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

PW,
It might not be a PN technical problem, but if BT Retail / BT Wholesale are deliberately blocking access to PN services (to inhibit supplier switching  ::)) then that would be a COMMERCIAL problem for PN.
Now they would not do that would they?  Just as much as BTOR never gives BT Retail preferential service over PlusNet or other ISPs.  Shocked

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Taff

Good for you, Bob, but my client on BT ADSL can't.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this? I tried again from home with parental controls both disabled and enabled and could access our site either way.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team