cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't connect to Broadband on Laptops but can on Phone?

katpaw
Grafter

Can't connect to Broadband on Laptops but can on Phone?

Hi all,
I'm a Plusnet customer, as is one of my mates who I have been helping out with a problem recently.
1) Mate has old laptop, running slow etc. I go over, uninstall some programs and various other things to try and get it to speed up. No change, so he decides to sack the laptop and buy a new one. Before I leave his house, broadband won't connect, but it did before I uninstalled programs. I only unistalled Microsoft C++ (no idea what that was doing there!, Google Chrome and related, Speech Recognition - and that's about it).
2) Buys new laptop today, I go and unpack it and set it up. "First time use" wizard comes up and asks if I want to connect to internet and finds BT Voyager 2110 router. I say "Yes" and input the wireless key as prompted. Laptop gets to Windows desktop......... and internet does not work.
3) Full signal showing to router, but no connection to net (message "Local network only"). As a test, I connect to internet from my phone using his router - works fine.
4) I decide to browse to the router using http://voyager.home or http://192.168.1.1 - cannot browse to router ("Page cannot be displayed"). Turn router off/on, no change.
5) Phone PlusNet. Advisor says "try connect the laptop to the router with a cable". Advised him that I did not have a cable to hand and can he suggest why we are having problems, and why I cannot browse to the router. He says he has no suggestions, and goes on to say that if I promise to stay with PlusNet for another 12 months they will send a new router free, only paying for postage. I says this is fair enough but it doesn't help me now. The reply was "As I've said you need to try a cable".
So that's where we are. I will try with a cable next time I am at his house but in the meantime he has no connection.
Why will both laptops not connect?
Why can I connect on my phone successfully?
Why can't I browse to the router?
Did the PlusNet helpdesk guy give me the right or sufficient advice?
What can I try next? (Other than the cable)
What if I can connect OK with the cable - what is the next course of action?
What if I can't connect OK with the cable - what is the next course of action?
Copy & Paste from the ticket:
"EU called for help setting up wireless connection to his laptop.
Advised EU to try using a cable to connect as EU is have trouble connecting to the routers webpage
Kind regards,
link:csa removed "
Cheers
Paul
(Friend's username = "softly")
[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) CSA name removed as per Forum Rules
2 REPLIES 2
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Can't connect to Broadband on Laptops but can on Phone?

HI katpaw,
I've just had a look at your friend's account and see that the router is connected to us. If your friend had an ethernet cable he would be able to get connected to the router and therefore to the internet. If your friend could have done this while on the phone to the agent we could have remotely set up the wireless for him.
You don't mention the OS so as it's a new laptop I am going to guess it's windows 7.
The first thing I would do is assign the ip address for the router:
control panel>network and internet>
network and sharing center>
change adapter settings>
right click wireless network connection>
select properties> highlight internet protocol version 4
click properties> choose 'use the following ip address' option
ip address:          192.168.1.100
subnet mask:      (this field will self-populate with 255.255.255.0 once you click into it)
default gateway:  192.168.1.1
sometimes it asks you to manually configure the DNS, in which case this would be:
Hope that helps,
Jojo Smiley
katpaw
Grafter

Re: Can't connect to Broadband on Laptops but can on Phone?

Thanks Jojo - yes it's Windows 7. I am heading over to his house this morning so will give your suggestions a go.
Best Regards
Paul
jim:quote