Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Use Phone and Internet at the Same Time

JulietHotel
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Can't Use Phone and Internet at the Same Time

Hi

I had a service call for a noisy phone line back in October and at the time the repairman said that they were fixing the line up to where it went underground and that it actually probably needed to be replaced underground, but that would take some time. That was never done. The line problem appeared to be fixed, but recently the line is a bit noisy again, nothing critical, and for some time I've noticed the internet line speed is terrible - never over 13 mb/s, the IP address seems to jump around and if I try to use the phone at the same time as the internet the internet connection drops out. I want to upgrade to fibre, but am very reluctant to while there is clearly a line fault of some description. I can't really report a noisy phone line again because it isn't. Any advice about how I can get this fixed is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Jeri

19 REPLIES 19
Tagger
Grafter

Re: Can't Use Phone and Internet at the Same Time

If it's noisy at all, report it as a line fault.  It won't get fixed otherwise.  A good line should be totally silent - if in doubt, do a "quiet line" test - dial 17070, and select option 2.  After a short recorded message, you should hear nothing.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there Jeri, first of all welcome to the community forums

I am sorry to hear you're having problems with your connection.

If by using your home phone, this causes your broadband to drop, I'd advise getting this raised as a broadband fault. If you haven't already, please can you run through the checks at http://faults.plus.net completing this to raise a fault to us.

Please feel free to let us know how you get on.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
JulietHotel
Dabbler

Hi, Thanks for the welcome and both sets of advice. I tried the broadband troubleshooter, but as the broadband is actually working until I use the phone and phone line is noisy the algorithm took me through to the phone troubleshooter. The line went dead when the line test was done and I was asked to phone support. A fault has been raised with a target complete of 04/04. Fingers crossed.

Thanks again.

Jeri

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Hi Jeri, I'm just following up on this.

I've checked your fault report and it looks like your fault was suspended in a state where our suppliers were asking for an appointment with you to progress it. As we hadn't picked this up, the fault has since timed out via their systems. Sad

I've retested your line and I'm still detecting a fault on our suppliers network so I've raised this back to Openreach with an estimated response time of by 07/04/17 23:59:59

I plan on monitoring the progress closely and if we're asked to book an appointment again I'll let you know.

I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

Anoush.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for your patience @JulietHotel

Just another follow-up, it seems that the engineer today couldn't locate the fault.

The next step is to investigate this from a broadband perspective. I've updated your ticket with a couple of checks you could try before we book a broadband engineer. Please feel free to let me know how it goes.

JulietHotel
Dabbler

Thanks for your message, Anoush. Yes the phone engineer was here today. He fixed a battery fault on the phone line and said he replaced the line from our home to the exchange. However when he did a final line test the broadband still dropped out. As he has done as much as he could on the phone line and has said he is limited to phone line work he has suggested that we get a broadband engineer in.

I appreciate your suggestions and now that the phone line issues have apparently been resolved we will take your advice and do what we can at home before we ask to book a broadband engineer. I'll let you know how we get on.

Many thanks

Jeri

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This has the hallmarks of being either a faulty filter at home or a line card at the exchange.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JulietHotel
Dabbler

Hi All

Back again. I did the tests/replacements I could at home per Anoush's reply. I bought a shiny new router and although I don't have a test socket I plugged the router into the master socket and replaced the microfilters. If anything, the connection is worse than it was before we got the phone line issues resolved. We did another line test yesterday morning and this raised another Question (#147558800) for which I am awaiting an answer. The constant dropping out is making life very difficult at the moment so we're looking forward to a resolution here.

The test results are as follows:

WP Product: WBC MAX24 mb/s (ADSL2+ Annex A) Uncapped Upstream

WP Profile: Generic Speed 4000 No Time Out Change

Ellacoya: Service_Offer_59

Connected for 0:7:0
40 drops in last 24 hours
68 drops in last 72 hours

KBD

BRAS 2261 Profile Info WBC 1M - 2M Medium delay (INP 4) 6dB Downstream, UC Low delay (INP 0) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Problem Explanation: [NF05] No issues have been identified in the BTW network.
Resolution/Recommendation: KBD test indicates no BTW network fault. Please perform all CP and End User checks.
xDSL
Status Circuit In Sync
  Upstream Downstream
Loop loss 5.6 14.5
SNR Margin 6.0 23.3
Errored Seconds 0 0
HEC Errors 0  
Speed 1192 2268
Maximum Stable Rate 18176 Fault Threshold Rate 14541
MTBR 891 ILQ R
MTBE (Downstream) 1885 MTBE (Upstream) 101

Thanks for your support.

Jeri

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I am sorry to hear your problems are continuing. It's likely we'll need to arrange an engineer, I'll take a look at your fault ticket you've raised shortly.
@JulietHotel I've updated your fault ticket, if you let me know on here once you've replied I can get the fault progressed for you, thanks.

JulietHotel
Dabbler

Great! Thanks, Anoush. An engineer would be fine and I note the statement you drew my attention to about equipment faults. I'd like to go ahead anyway once you've had a look at the fault ticket.

Kind regards

Jeri

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I think I may have edited my post at about the same time you replied. Smiley

I've updated your fault ticket for you.

JulietHotel
Dabbler

Thanks, Anoush. Am just waiting for my partner to get back to me so we can respond to your update. More soon.

Best wishes

Jeri

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Cannot recall if I mentioned this before - these faults are difficult to reproduce when engineers attend. Be prepared for the fault to NOT manifest whilst the engineer is there. These faults are usually down to the filter or the exchange line card. You might need to push to get the latter changed.

Might need an e-side lift n shift. Be prepared to not accept no fault found - that does not mean there is no fault, rather the engineer has not looked hard enough or in the right places. If the obvious is not the issue then the obscure must be the issue.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JulietHotel
Dabbler

Thanks, Townman. So far we've:

- Replaced the router with a Billion AC2400

- Replaced all cable

- Replaced the microfilters and subsequently bought brand new

- Done as direct a link as possible between the router and the master socket (we have no test socket)

- Removed everything using the broadband

- and retest, retest, retest

My partner & I are both in IT, but networking isn't our speciality so we know a bit generally and think we've done everything we can do at this end to isolate and/or resolve the problem.

I hope it isn't the case that there will be no fault/no fix because we have consistently cr*p service speeds. Currently we've got 1150 downstream, which is a bit lower than the upstream. Something has to change.

In any case, I gave availability for an engineer visit on our fault ticket last night so hopefully we can try to get to the bottom of this.

Best wishes

Jeri