cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Login to certain websites/services using plusnet broadband?

neo1607

Re: Can't Login to certain websites/services using plusnet broadband?

Phoned up plusnet customer support and the guy on the phone said he had this problem with someone a few months back but there is nothing they can do to sort it, all the suggested was i switch my router off for an hour which seems kind of a lazy fix, i did that and still nothing  Cry
billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

That's what I was told and similarly turning off the router did nothing. As did using different browsers.
Only the mystery night time reset fixed the problem and no one had any idea what caused the problem in the first place.
neo1607

I've submitted a ticket to see if that helps, but the thing is, the websites work if i use a web based proxy or even disconnect from my router and use my phones 3g connection, so it's obviously an error on plusnet's side somewhere
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: neo1607
I've submitted a ticket to see if that helps, but the thing is, the websites work if i use a web based proxy or even disconnect from my router and use my phones 3g connection, so it's obviously an error on plusnet's side somewhere

Doesn't the fact that you can use a web-based proxy successfully mean it's not an error on Plusnet's side?
fourfourdevon
Grafter

On Plusnet he has the problem.
On a proxy he doesnt have a problem
On another ISP's network he does not have the problem
I guess your saying because using the proxy means the traffic goes via Plusnet, Plusnet must work.
But Proxy's dont work that way, the actual traffic for the login goes between the proxy and the website only.  What travels between the proxy and the client is at least somewhat different.  But also, the traffic between the client and the proxy travels a different route.
The "blame" as such may not be Plusnets fault, but as it is exclusively experienced on Plusnets network, it is for Plusnet to resolve or for them to get someone else to resolve.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: fourfourdevon
I guess your saying because using the proxy means the traffic goes via Plusnet, Plusnet must work.

Yes, that's what I meant.
But Proxy's dont work that way, the actual traffic for the login goes between the proxy and the website only.  What travels between the proxy and the client is at least somewhat different.

No it's not!  The client must supply the credentials to the proxy so the proxy can effect the login.  Ordinarily what goes to the client might be somewhat different but in this instance it must be exactly the same.
But also, the traffic between the client and the proxy travels a different route.

Yes, but it doesn't really seem to be a route/destination issue (as was first thought), it seems to be a protocol issue; specifically with https. 
Nobody else on this forum has reported this same https problem.
When he uses a different network adaptor he doesn't have a problem.
When he alters the settings on his network adaptor (to use a proxy) he doesn't have a problem.
Using one network adaptor with particular settings (no proxy) he has a problem .
So given this problem seems to be unique to one individual, it isn't obvious to me that that makes it Plusnet's problem. 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

And I've just picked that ticket up and sent it back to you.
Did you try another web browser like me and ReedRichards suggested?
This is what I've suggested in my response to your ticket:

• You mention that you can log into these sites using a web proxy? Which web proxy are you using as typically these sorts of services will not allow you to establish an SSL connection?
  • Are there any more machines on your network, and if there are does this problem affect them all? If there aren't any other machines on your network then could you get some body round with a laptop to see if they can replicate the problem?
  • Are you connected wirelessly, and if you are is the same problem evident when trying a wired connection?
  • Are you using any Internet security software, and if so do you encounter the same problem if you temporarily disable it?
  • Have you got access to another router you could try to rule the hardware out as a potential cause?

I would forget DNS if I were you as the symptoms do not point to this being a DNS resolution problem.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

neo1607

Just using a web proxy like hidemyass.com
If affects every device on my network,  3 PC's, 2 Laptops, Phone, PS3, O2 Joggler and iPad.
Affects it both Wired and Wireless
Tried it with and without Internet security software
Not tried it with another router but i could give that a try

Just to also note on this situation:  I came from o2 broadband to plusnet and i didn't have these problems on o2, it only started when i joined plusnet... Now my cousin joined plusnet last week, same hardware, same router and he changed the same settings i did to move to plusnet, yet he can access all them sites no problem yet i still can't.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

... affects every device on my network,  3 PC's, 2 Laptops, Phone, PS3, O2 Joggler and iPad...........Not tried it with another router but i could give that a try

That would be the obvious thing to do because if that doesn't work you seem to have eliminated every possibility except that Plusnet is somehow to blame. 
vwake

Hello there,
Hoping someone will reply rather than starting a new thread. I am having the same problem of not being able to login to Emirates airline website to book after the first page. The webpage just time out. I had problem with santender bank page but that seems to have resolved but the emirates is persisting. I can log on using mobile 3g at friends house.
When I test the speed it seems ok for the area (paltry 2.6 mbps).
can some body help Lips_are_sealed
thank you.
vwake
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Looks like there were some issues with your connection dropping though these seem to have stabilised, I can see you've raised a fault as well which we'll update as soon as we can. Are you still having the same issues logging in now the connection's been stable for over 24 hours?
vwake

Seems to working now!!, I had tried rebooting, switching on/off the router before contacting plusnet. Thanks for prompt attention :D.
When I had to raise the fault, I felt there was no column to describe what was happening, wish there was some where to write.
regards