cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Even Get To First Base!

linux
Grafter

Re: Can't Even Get To First Base!

Have you tried a different model of modem? My old PCI ADSL modem worked fine for 3 years until the "regrade" to BT IPStream Max last year. It never worked reliably again, reporting an inadequate and wildly fluctuating signal-to-noise ratio. I then bought a new Linksys WAG354G wireless router and that fixed the problem completely.
James
Grafter

Pretty sure that Presto tests are standard for any sync related fault.  I don't believe it is a PSTN only line as BT would not have come back to us with NFF.
itsme
Grafter

Have seen worksheets to check jumpering only. If the right colour wires and they get dial tone then report back as NFF. But further investigation show that the jumpering is wrong and only PSTN has been connected. Reason that I asked whether the Voyager is logging that ASDL has be detected. Know my modem report this.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I'm test driving a Voyager 210.  The meaning of the DSL light on the front panel is as follows (according to the setup guide and my experience).
DSL light
Green - Connected to Broadband ADSL line
Blinking - Connecting to ADSL. Wait…
Off/Blinking for more than 1 minute - Not connected to ADSL line or Fault with ADSL connection.
David
leblanc
Dabbler

Thanks for all replies.
James, my last e-mails say that the question has been ended.
I sent another e-mail re possible times for a BT engineer to call, but have not had a response.  Is there something different I must do to resurrect this again?
Linux, I have tried another modem, but with the same result, ie the DSL light is constantly blinking.  It does not turn to permanent green.
Is this such a complex problem for BT to check that I have a functioning ADSL connection, or are their engineers not up to it?
I know the problems I have with British Gas when I have a gas boiler problem.  They have about 5-6 call out attempts before they get it working.  What is it with engineers these days?
decomplexity
Rising Star

A probable red herring, but - since the line is new to broadband -  it might be worth checking if you have RF filters on the line in your house (perhaps installed years ago to reduce phone-call noise). If you can trace the route from where BT's cable enters the house, look for a small rectangular black box (say 10 cm x 6 cm - can't be more specific as there are several types).
Phone calls, fax calls and dial-up modem calls pass happily through one of these,  but they totally block broadband (that's more or less their job!). And BT can report a line as 'commissioned for broadband' even with filters in place (I have had this happen twice...) 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
leblanc
Dabbler

Thanks Decomplexity, I will ask the BT engineer to check this.
Although I don't know when I will be seeing one.
I reactivated the question yesterday because Plusnet said they had closed it!  In the e-mail I told them all the facts that I have listed above and gave them dates for a BT visit.  I subsequently received a text at 09.47 this morning asking if the second modem had been successful.  Basically asking for information they had yesterday.
I feel I am treading water!
leblanc
Dabbler

Update:
I am finally up and running as of the 4th September.
It took an additional 12 days and initially due to BT.  They checked at my nearest exchange on the 4th and said that they had discovered a fault.  This was after originally FFNF.
Thank you Plusnet support.  There were a few minor glitches, but it all came good.
Thanks also to forum members who helped, it is appreciated.
atbs1
Grafter

Whilst it's no consolation to you, the original complainant, +net sorted out a problem with my connection earlier this year with BT. It took three BT visits to sort the problem out at their and my phone plug end. End result? A still uncharged and happy customer!  Thanks +nutters.