cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Connect - It's not PN or Modem, nor Firewall. Nope not cable either!

daftcars
Grafter

Can't Connect - It's not PN or Modem, nor Firewall. Nope not cable either!

I have a Netgear Modem/Router (not Wireless), and an XP PC with Zonealarm. Suddenly today my main PC won't connect. The router is OK as I have swapped the cables round and all 4 ports work with my laptop.
I have disabled Zonealarm and Windows XP firewall, and tried using Windows to 'repair' the connection. Still refuses and now I'm stuck for idea's. I really need to get on tonight, so any help appreciated.
I've tried IE and Firefox and can't get emails either. Spybot etc can't get updates, so here's definitely no conection there. I haven't added any hard or software, and haven't changed any settings since I was last online.
7 REPLIES 7
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Can't Connect - It's not PN or Modem, nor Firewall. Nope not cable either!

Presumably you have checked the lights on the router.....which router do you have?
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
daftcars
Grafter

Hi
It's a DG814 and the lights all do what they are meant to do. I know modem is fine as laptop works (it's working now!)
Cheers
LordFox
Rising Star

My first step is to check that your PC's network port is working.
When you say Windows refuses to repair, what do you mean - what exactly does Windows say?
Is there an X on the network icon in your taskbar? Or a ! mark?
Does your PC have a static IP address or does it get one by DHCP? If DHCP, is it getting an address?
Can you ping your laptop's IP address from the PC and vice versa?
daftcars
Grafter

I looked in 'Network Connections' and there are two, Local Area Connection and 1394 Connection2. I right clicked on the first one, selected 'repair' and it repaired it, or at least looked like it did. Did same for second connection and it said 'Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be conpleted: TCP/IP is not enabled for this connectioon. Cannot proceed.'
There is / was no X or ! on network icon, and I know nothing about DHCP addresses or pinging  :-[(sorry).
However, I have downloaded a little program called 'WinsockxpFix.exe' and it has worked a treat. Can now connect no problem.
Thanks for the help.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The Local Area Connection is the one that is cabled to your router.
Go back to Network Connections, point to Local Area Connection and right-click with your mouse - you get a menu. Click on Properties in the menu and a new small window appears.
It should open on the "General" tab - make sure both boxes at the bottom are ticked (click on them if not) (Show icon.... & Notify me....) then click OK.
You should now get a little network connection status icon in the system tray (bottom right) which can be handy when trying to fix problems, both as a status indicator and quick route to fixing it.
daftcars
Grafter

I've got the icon. It was 'normal', then when I pulled out the cable, it got a cross and informed me that a cable was out. Plugged cable back in and icon was as normal again.
No idea what was causing the problem, but that little program has fixed it.
Cheers.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

That program reinitialises the Windows XP TCP/IP stack (control information) back to the state when Windows was first installed. As was the case here doing this can work wonders in some instances.
David