Did you mean: 

Can someone please reset my DLM?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Can someone please reset my DLM?

Hi,

You were asked if you'd like interleaving turned off but did not reply which is why it is still on. Looking at the stats as they are everything is looking good. 7Mbps is darned good for a 51dB attenuated line - it's running at just 3dB SNRM which I. The absence of noise might remain stable ... only time will tell.

A synch speed of 7Mbps gives a profile of 6,1Mmps data sleedmso a data speed test of 5.9Mbps is right on target. In fact it's all looking good. Turning off interleaving will deliver a bit more US if the line remains stable.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HLG
Dabbler

Hello @Townman, and thanks.

I know the interleaving is still on. What I meant was that the interleaving was at 32 downstream and 8 upstream when my upload speed was 888kbps, and it was still at 32 downstream and 8 upstream when my upload speed dropped (after the spate of instability this morning, my upload speed is now up again to 888kbps, with interleaving remaining at 32 down and 8 up). Since the interleaving depth hasn't changed in 10 days, I'm curious as to why the upload speed is so variable. Even at 5.9mbps download, the line is still slower than I was getting just two weeks ago (6.5mbps+ on line speed tests), which makes me wonder if there's some underlying problem somewhere.

I also had a sudden flurry of rapid disconnections and reconnections just after my last post (hence my edit). Thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected the line speed so far, but I'm concerned as to why it's suddenly doing so again after it's been stable for several days. The 10-day training period ended today, so I'm wondering if that could somehow be related?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The only way that you are going to get a clearer view on this is by being able to constantly monitor (plot) the SNRM to see if there are periods of interference.  However, I suspect that the router you are using does not lend itself to being monitored with something like routerstats.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@HLG wrote:

I also had a sudden flurry of rapid disconnections and reconnections just after my last post (hence my edit). Thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected the line speed so far, but I'm concerned as to why it's suddenly doing so again after it's been stable for several days. The 10-day training period ended today, so I'm wondering if that could somehow be related?

That's likely caused by the SNR of 3db. If things start dropping again we could move the target up to 6db? This would slightly reduce the sync rate though so I'd recommend keeping an eye on the connection and we'll move the SNR if needs be.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
HLG
Dabbler

Hi @Townman: Yes, it's unfortunate that there isn't some kind of built-in telemetry graph/readout on the router. I actually tried using Routerstats Lite and DSLstats back in February, but I couldn't get either to work (I think it's something to do with the 2704n having the wrong kind of login?).

Hi @Gandalf: I've been keeping an eye on my connection over the last few days, and it seems to have stabilized (fingers crossed it stays that way) at just over 6mbps download, and 0.6mbps upload. I don't want to risk things slowing down again, so I think I'm happy to leave the SNR alone for the time being. Thanks!

I do have a question about the interleaving though. Does turning interleaving off increase speed but make the connection less stable, and if so, could the instability end up causing the line to become slower than it is now?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

The answer to all of those questions is "Yes".

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Except that turning off interleaving won't necessarily increase the downstream bandwidth.