cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone please reset my DLM?

HLG
Dabbler

Can someone please reset my DLM?

I just renewed my contract with Plusnet and it activated last night. Right after receiving the email, my internet started dropping in and out like crazy. I'm pretty sure it's affected the DLM because my speed dropped to 5.5mbps download (it's usually 6.5mbps+) and just 0.5mbps upload (usually 1.5mbps+).

I contacted Plusnet via LiveChat this afternoon. The first agent insisted on testing my line and ordering an SNR reset, which reset the router and caused the LiveChat conversation to drop out completely. I started another LiveChat and the agent again insisted on testing the line and resetting the router. They said that the SNR reset should put the line speed back to normal within 4 hours.

It hasn't improved and is now worse than before.

My speed is now down to 4.75mbps download and 0.4mbps upload. I think it's pretty clear that all this incessant resetting has caused the DLM to think that the line is unstable, leading it to throttle the speed even more than it already was. Can one of the admins here please reset the DLM on my line?

I literally had this exact same problem a few months ago (speed was less than 1mbps then), and it took two weeks of emails and phonecalls before Plusnet would do it. When they finally did, it was back to full speed almost immediately.

Your Plusnet adviser may ask you for the following information:
1 - Product name: Plusnet Router
2 - Serial number:  
3 - Firmware version: 7.275.2_F2704N_Plusnet
4 - Board version: F@ST2704N
5 - Mode ADSL
6 - Uptime: 0 days 04:38:24
7 - Data rate: 888/5763
8 - Maximum data rate: 888/6188
9 - Noise margin: 11.0/8.7
10 - Line attenuation: 28.4/51.5
12 - Data sent/received: 29.0M/283.1M
20 - Broadband username:  
21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID:  
22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS disabled
23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2
24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless)
25 - Firewall: Default
26 - MAC Address:  
27 - Software variant Version 1.0
28 - Boot loader: 7.275.2

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Tags (4)
21 REPLIES 21
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Can someone please reset my DLM?

@HLG,

A DLM reset and a SNRM reset are the same thing.

Your stats show a SNRM of 8.7 dB - either you now have less noise on the line than there was when the router last synchronised (if the target SNRM is 6dB) or more noise (if the target SNRM is 9dB) - whatever it looks like there is some form of RFI impacting your line.

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Is the router connected to the master socket?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HLG
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply. 🙂

Last time I had this issue (February this year) I was told by Plusnet that an SNR reset and a DLM reset are not the same, because while they can do an SNR reset immediately (taking effect in 4 hours), a DLM reset requires a 3-days-stable connection, because otherwise DLM will go right back to banding the line at lower speeds if the line drops out. Were Plusnet lying about this?

I get a dial tone and there's no noise on the quiet line test (which doesn't surprise me, since the line was tested twice by two engineers back in February).

The router is connected to a filter, but I have tried three different filters (I even borrowed my neighbour's, whose broadband is fine) and the speed is the same with all of them.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

There might possibly be a semantics difference?  It used to be case that a "reset" put the line back into a 10 day training mode, after which if there were issues, nothing could be done until the 10 days were up.  There is an alternative "reset" which certainly changes the target SNRM.

Whatever something is causing the SNRM to change - until that is identified, you are not going to get a fast and stable service.

Have you followed the guidance of the slow speed thread - link below?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

It would probably help for Plusnet to show us the test results including the DLM profile info.

I think there's only the one reset, what they may have meant was that there's no point doing a reset unless you know that the problem has been fixed, or whatever caused the need for the DLM reset is no longer present. If you don't know exactly what caused the DLM to do something, then they might want to see some stability before doing a reset.

Also, uploads speeds of "1.5Mbps+" would usually be impossible on ADSL (unless you had Annex M which is an expensive extra only available from Plusnet on business accounts and probably not even available on a line as long as this).

HLG
Dabbler

Hi @Townman and @ejs, thanks for your help.

I suppose it could be a semantic difference, but all I know is that when my line was banded to less than 0.5mbps back in February (Openreach moved the cabinet and caused a lot of disconnections), Plusnet told me they had reset the SNR two or three times (which made no difference) and told me that a DLM reset required three days of line stability. After I finally managed to rack up an uninterrupted three days on my router (Plusnet kept resetting my router whenever I called them, which sent me back to square one several times), my speed shot back up. I've attached two screenshots of my detailed router stats from the last time I was having issues with slower speed, one from 5th February (during the problem) and one from 11th February right after the speed increased. The speeds continued to increase over the next couple of days before settling (I didn't take anymore screenshots after that unfortunately, since I didn't think I'd need them).

I've also attached a screenshot of the detailed router stats from this evening, to show you the difference. I don't know if there are any glaring problems?

I contacted Plusnet again this afternoon to let them know that the SNR reset still hasn't improved the speed. The agent said he had "adjusted the profile. If you reboot the router you should see an improvement". I checked in the Member Centre and it now reads "Current line speed: 6.5mb" when earlier today it said "Current line speed: 5mb". Back in February it listed the current line speed as 20.9mb, although I wasn't getting anywhere near that. I've rebooted the router but the actual speed is still hovering around 4.8mbps.

Yes, I tried all the usual troubleshooting stuff before I contacted Plusnet (including switching channels, testing the sockets etc). I've also run the BT speedtest, which says 4.73mbps download, 0.57mbps upload, with Ping Latency (ms) of 57.50. I keep getting an error message when I try to run the further diagnostics (I kept getting error messages back in February too).

[Edited to add a screenshot from 5th Feb.]

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Something looks a little odd here. The line's attenuation has gone up a little and the upstream metrics have changed markedly from 1.1Mbps at 24dB to 888kbps at 10dB.

Do you know if a full copper line test has been performed - is there a CLT report in your tickets?

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

888k upstream is typically seen due to the interleaving on the upstream.

My advice is to leave everything well alone and wait for Plusnet to deal with it on the forum. Do not reboot your modem/router, there is never any need to do this after they reset something. I've never seen any instance where the exchange somehow can't disconnect your modem, and it needs you to reboot your modem for some change to take effect. Find out how to re-connect the PPP session without rebooting the router (usually you don't even need to do this manually when the IP Profile / Current Line Speed updates trickle through the system).

There is nothing odd about the minor change in attenuation - it's probably due to the change in temperature between February and August.

HLG
Dabbler

Hi @Townman and @ejs, thanks again for replying. I really appreciate your help.

Townman - I know that the Plusnet help agents tested the line when I contacted them, but is that the same as a full test? There's no CLT report in my tickets.

ejs - I noticed that the interleaving is now 32 downstream and 8 upstream, whereas after it was fixed in February it was only 16 downstream and 1 upstream. Does higher interleaving slow the line speed? I read somewhere that it can be turned off (usually to make online gaming easier), but does that create other problems?

A general update, Plusnet responded to my help ticket and have told me that they've reset my line and placed it into a 10-day training period. The speed's now gone back up to 5.5mbps, which is a good start, so I'm hoping the reset is the solution. I'm also hoping the speed will continue to climb over the next couple of days, like it did in February.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

This is now a wait and see game.  This improvement is only going to "stick" if the reason for the DLM action has been eliminated.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi HLG,

How are things looking from your point of view today?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HLG
Dabbler

@Townman Yes, I hope it does stick. It'll be an interesting few days. Thanks for your help!

@adamwalker Hi! Things seem to be ok at the moment, thanks. The speed was up to 5.5mbps yesterday, and it's at 5.9mbps today so it does seem to be improving gradually. One oddity is that upload speed has actually dropped a little, to 0.6mbps.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

US speed drop is likely to be due to increased interleaving to attain stability.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@HLG wrote:
Things seem to be ok at the moment, thanks. The speed was up to 5.5mbps yesterday, and it's at 5.9mbps today so it does seem to be improving gradually.

That's good to hear! Testing your line, your router is currently in sync at 7mbps Smiley

@HLG wrote:
One oddity is that upload speed has actually dropped a little, to 0.6mbps.
@Townman wrote:
US speed drop is likely to be due to increased interleaving to attain stability.

We can turn interleaving off if you want, to see if the upstream increases?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
HLG
Dabbler

Hi @Townman and @Gandalf - thanks for all your help! Sorry for my slow reply.

@Townman: I've checked my router stats again, and the interleaving doesn't seem to have changed. It's 32 downstream and 8 upstream, which is the same as it has been since 5th August. (That's still higher than February though, when it was 16 downstream and 1 upstream.)

@Gandalf: My router stats say 7mbps, but every time I run a speed test it says 5.9mbps. I've tried it on two different computers too, and they both get the same measurement so I don't think it's an issue with the computer hardware.

I'm not sure about turning interleaving off. If turning interleaving off made the line unstable, would that lead to problems with DLM banding the line (and reducing my download speed)?

IMPORTANT EDIT: Since writing the above, I've had a flurry of rapid connections and disconnections. At least half a dozen. I think the line was due to come out of the 10-day training period today, so could that be related to this sudden instability?

My router stats say the upload speed is now reading 888kbps again.