cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone help me upgrade my modem / router firmware please?

Melcar

Can someone help me upgrade my modem / router firmware please?

Hi,

I have a Plusnet router - TG582n. Since my laptop upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 I have been through lots of nightmare wifi connectivity issues with really slow speeds (ie pages time out before they load). A recent Windows 10 update really ruined it again. My laptop is fine connecting to other people's wifi. I asked a guy at PC World who recommended updating the modem firmware as he said this had solved the same problem with several other laptops. (I have tried loads of other fixes to no avail).

Is there a firmware update available and if so can someone from Plusnet do this for me remotely please? Or send me instructions about what to do?

Slow internet is really affecting my home-based business Sad

Many thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
Melcar

Re: Can someone help me upgrade my modem / router firmware please?

By the way I've just discovered that ipconfig /flushdns seems to solve the problem temporarily but I don't want to do that all the time.

Thank you!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There's no updated firmware, but there's a configuration change that solves the problem.

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/198-18-1-x-address-problems/m-p/1374877#M309074

Melcar

That's great news, thanks, but how on earth do I telnet to the router? I'm not a progamming-type person.

Cheers!

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

If you haven't used telnet before, you'll probably need to enable "Telnet Client" in Windows optional features (somewhere in Control Panel or whatever equivalent Windows 10 has).

Then you open a Command Promt, and do (assuming 192.168.1.254 is the IP address of your 582n router):

telnet 192.168.1.254

Then login with username admin and password being the router's serial number (same as what you use to log in to the router using a web browser).

Then you can enter the two commands from Bob Pullen's post.

Melcar

Brilliant, thanks so much.

Seems to have helped... I will leave it til tomorrow to let you know if it's definitely solved the problem (other fixes have worn off over time for some reason).

Thanks again for helping me!!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @Melcar.

Glad to hear the advice given by ejs has helped. Hopefully that's resolved it as expected, but please do let us know if you start to experience problems again.

Thanks for your input @ejs Thumbs_Up

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet