cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone explain why my download is worse than dial-up?

FIXED
Dilly
Grafter
Fixes: 2

Can someone explain why my download is worse than dial-up?

This is my first post on this forum and I'm not sure what to do. The problem is that, since last weekend, my download has dropped to 0.01 Mb and at times is too low to even carry out a speed test. The internet is no-go and I miss being able to email my sons and grandchildren which was previously a regular occurrence. I'm posting this on a friends computer as many attempts to log on with my laptop proved unsuccessful. No changes, additions or other possible cause has taken place with my installation and I can only assume that extensive work carried out in my area by Openreach may be responsible. Please, is there any way this can be checked and my loss of broadband verified as I'm a 73 yr old lady who needs to keep in touch with her family? Thank you to anyone who can throw any light on this for me.

25 REPLIES 25
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Can someone explain why my download is worse than dial-up?

Hello Dilly.

Sorry to hear you're having speed problems. It looks like your service is banded as a result of the connection drops earlier in the week. Banding [which caps your speed] is applied automatically by the software in the exchange when there's a problem.

Since things seem to have stabilised over the past few days, I've reset your line to improve your speeds. If you still have problems or the issues return, please can you run through the troubleshooting guides here and here

Sorry for the inconvenience caused

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dilly
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

Apologies for the delay in replying, I was waiting to see if the problem had in fact been resolved which it was until today. Yesterday I recorded 3.83 Mb which was fine. Unfortunately Openreach, who appeared on the scene yet again, seem to have taken a dislike to me and I am now back to 0.2 Mb. It looks as though they have created a further fault (nothing unusual there!) resulting in a recap of my download speed. Can this again be rectified as soon as possible, I would be extremely grateful.

Dilly.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi Dilly.

I've reset your line again but your connection is still dropping.

So I'd recommend reporting a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

Anoush

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dilly
Grafter

Hi Anoush,

Thank you again for your response to my latest cry for help and, in accordance with your suggestion , I have now raised the necessary fault report. I would mention that I am currently recording a download speed of 4.76 Mb, which is great, but in view of your comments, I'll not be surprised to see this  drop again.

Dilly

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problems Dilly Smiley

I'd expect our faults team to pick up your fault report within 72 hours.

Let us know how it goes.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dilly
Grafter

Hello Anoush,

As expected, the good times didn't last long and download speed for yesterday and so far today have averaged 0.7 Mbs. Will just wait for outcome of the fault investigation, hopefully soon.

Dilly

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

Dilly
Grafter

Out of curiosity can Mav please explain what needed editing in  my last post? I can't recall posting anything untoward or against forum rules. Please enlighten me.

Dilly.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I don’t think your post itself was edited. It was just caught in the spam filter so Mav released it and left a note on the bottom of your post. Smiley
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dilly
Grafter

That's a relief. I thought for a moment I had inadvertently said something naughty! Wink

Thanks Anoush.

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Dilly

It was exactly as @Gandalf described.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Dilly
Grafter

Oh dear! Very disappointed, have wasted an afternoon waiting for a non-existent engineer.Sad 

An appointment was made for an engineer to visit between 1 pm and 6 pm today but it seems nobody told him. It's now 7.25 pm and I have received no apology or explanation as to why he has not turned up. I'm afraid I see this as inexcusable and not a very good advert for Plusnet's customer service. Never mind, have now been without decent broadband for nearly two weeks so what's another few days to an elderly lady?

Dilly.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Sorry to hear the engineer didn't arrive Dilly

It looks like the appointment didn't progress through our suppliers systems to the Openreach systems Sad We'll need to rebook the visit, can you let us know your availability by replying to the ticket on your account?

Let us know on here when you've done that and I'll make sure it's definitely booked in this time.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dilly
Grafter

Hi Anoush, 

Thank you for your reply and, in accordance with your request, I have advised of three alternative days for the engineer's visit. Hopefully the system will not fail this time, my patience is wearing a little thin but I do appreciate your help in this matter.

Dilly

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've booked the appointment for you now Dilly and confirmed on the ticket.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet