cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone double check my IP profile / traffic profile please

JEB
Grafter

Can someone double check my IP profile / traffic profile please

I'm on FTTC and for the past few weeks my download speed has been inconsistent with the IP Profile on my line. 
The BT speedchecker reports a profile of 38,717 but it is clear that my speeds are restricted to about 33Mb/s.  This isn't a network load issue as they never exceed this rate.  The portal reports my line speed as 37 Mb, however I am uncertain with FTTC if the portal always says this no matter the IP profile on the line.
Power cycling the VDSL modem and router does nothing.
To my mind either the VDSL modem is synced around 33Mb and the BT IP profile just hasn't changed, which I don't think is possible, or potentially someone is configured wrong on PlusNet's side.  Could someone see if anything looks strange on my account please? 

James
6 REPLIES 6
Epyon
Grafter

Re: Can someone double check my IP profile / traffic profile please

I find you never get the same speed as you're IP profile roughly 8-12% less
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JEB,
As Epyon said, you won't get what the profile says. There's nothing restrictive at this end, and it's not low enough to raise a fault about, so I'm not sure if there's much I can do. Is it a wireless connection from the router or are you using the ethernet cable?
Jojo Smiley
JEB
Grafter

Hi Joanne

I always used to get speeds of about 3Mb/s faster, both on speed tests and real world downloads.  That is over cable and nothing has changed on my network.  As you say it is only a small decrease (albeit larger than the speed I used to get on ADSL!) and I'm not particularly bothered.
It's just that given the IP profile it should be faster and I just find it annoying when things aren't working as I would expect!  I don't suppose you can tell my actual sync speed from your diagnostic tools?

James
Epyon
Grafter

Your speed will also lower as you cabinet fills up with subscribers
what was the speed you where quoted originally?
JEB
Grafter

Hi

If my line has synced 3Mb slower due to crosstalk with other lines I wouldn't be surprised, however I would expect the IP profile to decrease along with the sync.  Given that my IP profile hasn't changed I suspect I may still be synced at the full 40Mb rate that I was when the line was first installed and something else is causing the slow down.  That is why I'm interested in whether Plus can tell me my actual sync rate.
It isn't a network load issue as that would decrease average speeds rather than peak speeds.

James
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi James,

Unfortunately the test tool is unavailable. Although I'd say that 33Mbps is acceptable on your line.
Jojo Smiley