Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone check my sync profile?

bodkin
Dabbler

Can someone check my sync profile?

Hi,
After a big storm here my internet has slowed to a truly ridiculous crawl with download speeds in the region of 1kbps. BT claim there is no fault on the line, but in the past it has been caused by trees rubbing the line, I am hoping an engineer will be able to take a look soon when I convince BT to send one. In the mean time the weather has calmed, can some one take a look and my sync profile and see if it can be improved? My stats are below,
Thanks!
Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Traffic Type ATM
Status Up
Link Power State L0
Downstream Upstream
Line Coding (Trellis) On On
SNR Margin (dB) 10.2 18.0
Attenuation (dB) 43.0 23.5
Output Power (dBm) 19.9 12.3
Attainable Rate (Kbps) 6956 1012
Rate (Kbps) 5824 448
K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 183 15
R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 16 16
S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1.00 1.00
D (interleaver depth) 32 4
Delay (msec) 8.00 8.00
INP (DMT symbol) 1.29 0.13
Super Frames 1098638 1098638
Super Frame Errors 7 8
RS Words 74707350 9337513
RS Correctable Errors 5442 49
RS Uncorrectable Errors 77 0
HEC Errors 48 6
OCD Errors 0 0
LCD Errors 0 0
Total Cells 256542294 0
Data Cells 2817473 0
Bit Errors 0 0
Total ES 5 0
Total SES 0 0
Total UAS 13 13
7 REPLIES 7
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Can someone check my sync profile?

Hi bodkin,
Looks like you are on 20CN?  Rural line I bet?
The synch speed is only just a little on the low side for your current synch rate - in ideal conditions you'd be lucky to see and additional 500kbps.  One therefore needs to look at the DATA speed profiles.
What is the BT Profile?  Run a full BT Wholesale speed test followed by further diagnostics.
What is the PN speed profile - look in the user portal.
How to do this can by found by looking at the speed issues thread at the top of this forum.  Please post the results back here.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bodkin
Dabbler

Hi,
Yep its a rural line, luckily soon to be replaced by private fibre (B4RN)
according to plus net my current line speed is 0.2 Mb! (It usually sits at about 5)
The results of the BT Wholesale test were:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 0.12 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.05 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.82 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.14 Mbps
I have an enginer coming to look at the line enxt Tuesday, but was hoping for some little improvement before then, I am using my phone internet to post!
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

You are at the mercy of 20CN DLM I'm afraid. As that's a very low profile and your current sync is very much higher then the BT one, it should improve quickly, within 24 hrs I would hope. The Plusnet one will then follow, how quickly, should be within 12 hrs.
This all with the proviso that you have continuous sync and don't have another very low sync event.
The big question is what caused it in the first place, was it really just the storm? That was a while ago and it ought to have gone up by now I would have thought. Is everything plugged into your line with filters? How many have you got? Are you plugged into the Test socket?
bodkin
Dabbler

Annoyingly this happens every 2-6 months. It due to a set of trees down the road from us that out line runs through. The storm will have weakened it then the wind yesterday must have finished this pair off. An engineer comes in the end and puts us on a different pair and it fixes it for a few months. BT refuse to cut the trees back (they have permission) or change the line as they say its not worth it. Hence why we are digging out own fibre route round here.
Was hoping I could find a stop gap, but I guess il just have to wait for a engineer!
They joys of rural broadband and BT! 
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Shame yours isn't underground, I'm lucky most of mine is, but that also has it's problems!
Have you tried complaining to your MP about BT, it won't do any harm, may do some good.
The cost of cutting the trees back must be far less than repeated engineer visits.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

All so true, but realisation of that requires the engagement of a brain and a desire to keep the customer happy!  Oh silly me, I forgot, we are not BTOR's customer. Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JTaylor
Grafter

Hi Bodkin
I've just done a couple of checks on your line to try and figure out what's causing your issues and it definitely looks like your broadband issues are caused by your telephone line being in fault.
Like you mentioned, you were going to raise this with BT which it seems you've done already.
As for the speeds, the guys above talking you through Dynamic Line Management and such were exactly right. When your phone line issue is resolved, your speeds will be managed to get you back to where you need to be.
If for whatever reason it doesn't seem it improve, I would advise getting back to us to do some further testing.